[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600 OCing

Oct 25, 2020
I am new to the OCing community but I need some help. I have a Ryzen 5 2600 am I am trying to OC it to 3.9GHz all core with the stock cooler. The thing is I just had the voltage at 1.1125 in Ryzen Master and then ran a Cinebench and HWMoniter said that my average cpu temp was 101 C which had me confused because that is the same avage I had when I tried it on 1.375 voltage. I want to run this every day do you have any suggestions I was looking at the TMPin2 on HWMoniter. Is that the wrong TMPin to look at? In Cinebench I am getting an average score of 2900 when I usually get about 2600 on stock no OC.

Solution
I am new to the OCing community but I need some help. I have a Ryzen 5 2600 am I am trying to OC it to 3.9GHz all core with the stock cooler. The thing is I just had the voltage at 1.1125 in Ryzen Master and then ran a Cinebench and HWMoniter said that my average cpu temp was 101 C which had me confused because that is the same avage I had when I tried it on 1.375 voltage. I want to run this every day do you have any suggestions I was looking at the TMPin2 on HWMoniter. Is that the wrong TMPin to look at? In Cinebench I am getting an average score of 2900 when I usually get about 2600 on stock no OC.
I'm not trying to discourage you from overclocking your CPU, but honestly, unless you can get to 4.2-4.3GHz OC with a good...

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
I am new to the OCing community but I need some help. I have a Ryzen 5 2600 am I am trying to OC it to 3.9GHz all core with the stock cooler. The thing is I just had the voltage at 1.1125 in Ryzen Master and then ran a Cinebench and HWMoniter said that my average cpu temp was 101 C which had me confused because that is the same avage I had when I tried it on 1.375 voltage. I want to run this every day do you have any suggestions I was looking at the TMPin2 on HWMoniter.
what type of cooler do you have?

Oct 25, 2020
The problem with that is I was going to get a 360 because I was going to get a new case for the upgrade but if I get one now it would only be 240 and then I would either have to get another one for the next one or just have a 240 one. Does a 360 really make that much of a difference from a 240 rad?

Or at least without it over heating
It will definitely need better-than-stock cooling to get the most.

What I'd do is set a voltage of about 1.375V and start increasing clocks from 3.5Ghz. Run a CPUz stress test for 5 or 10 min's and check temps. If under 65C increase 50Mhz and do it again until it gets to 65C under the stress test or it goes unstable. That would be a fairly safe overclock for your CPU, cooler and motherboard.

I'm not trying to discourage you from overclocking your CPU, but honestly, unless you can get to 4.2-4.3GHz OC with a good 120-140mm cooler, there isn't much point to 3.9-4GHz OC. If the OC is for games, it's only going to be around 3-5% faster compared to the 3.75GHz you would normally see. You would likely see a 3-6fps increase in games at 4GHz if they are affected at all and need a 120mm CPU cooler, something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo or Black Edition for $30-40. 4.2-4.3GHz will increase performance to around 8-12fps, but requires at least a $60-80 liquid or 120-140mm air CPU cooler.

If you really want higher fps for CPU bound games, you would need a faster CPU.

Solution
Would I not lose any frames while recording on OBS if I kept it there. Like would I have the same amount of frames that I would have with a not OCed chip not recording?
That depends on the settings being used when recording and the hardware being used to encode when recording. If you have a GTX 16XX, RTX 20XX or RTX 30XX series card, you could just record with the GPU using NVENC, instead and not use CPU. You would then only be using the CPU when editing or encoding the recorded video to another extension when not playing a game.

If your only recording option is to use CPU, then you would need to adjust your settings to reduce the CPU usage when gaming and recording. Overclocking your CPU likely won't yield much more performance for OBS recording and you would only notice a small difference when editing and encoding.