[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x which should I get?

Mar 31, 2019
Hi, I'm fairly new to computers and I'm going to be building my first PC soon. I'm kind of in a bind right now whether should I get The R5 2600 or the 2600x as my processor. The r5 2600 and 2600x has a difference of about 50$ in my country. I would be thankful if you could help me pick, thanks.

Solution
it depends on where that extra $50 could go if you see that it can upgrade some parts you have in mind like a better gpu or ssd for example then go for the r5 2600, but if it changes nothing then go for the r5 2600x since it performs a tiny bit faster out of the box.

but if you could wait, new amd cpus are coming soon probably around july. you could wait for that and maybe get a better deal.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
it depends on where that extra $50 could go if you see that it can upgrade some parts you have in mind like a better gpu or ssd for example then go for the r5 2600, but if it changes nothing then go for the r5 2600x since it performs a tiny bit faster out of the box.

but if you could wait, new amd cpus are coming soon probably around july. you could wait for that and maybe get a better deal.

Reactions: Muumei
Solution
Mar 31, 2019

I want to get a PC sooner though, since my dad's PC is super old (Phenom ii X3 720, Radeon HD 6850) but if it's worth the wait then I might wait for the 3rd gen Ryzen

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
I want to get a PC sooner though, since my dad's PC is super old (Phenom ii X3 720, Radeon HD 6850) but if it's worth the wait then I might wait for the 3rd gen Ryzen

my take on why to wait is this.

you may not be able to get a hold of the new ryzen 3xxx series cpus since itll most likely be short in stock or be more expensive than what youd expect. but with its release ryzen 2xxx cpus could be cheaper. thus opening more potential for better parts for your system compared to if you would buy now.

but it really depends on if you could wait or not. btw whats your total budget?

Mar 31, 2019
my take on why to wait is this.

you may not be able to get a hold of the new ryzen 3xxx series cpus since itll most likely be short in stock or be more expensive than what youd expect. but with its release ryzen 2xxx cpus could be cheaper. thus opening more potential for better parts for your system compared to if you would buy now.

but it really depends on if you could wait or not. btw whats your total budget?

In US it should be around $750-800 but the prices of some components are rather unstable in my country

InvalidError

Titan
with its release ryzen 2xxx cpus could be cheaper. thus opening more potential for better parts for your system compared to if you would buy now.
If you look at current pricing of first-gen Ryzen CPUs, they have become ridiculously cheap compared to their launch price with the Ryzen 1700 available for as low as $160. That's probably where you can expect the Ryzen 2700 to be at 6-8 months after the Ryzen 3xxx' launches.

This is a long time to wait if you are eager to upgrade right now, but the rewards are quite considerable. Also, RAM and SSD prices are still dropping, might save another $30-40 on 16GB RAM and 480+GB SSD by buying a few more months from now too. If you are planning to replace the HD6850, I'd recommend waiting for Navi even if only to see how much down-pressure it'll put on GPU prices, I'm hoping for a significant shakeup in performance per dollar.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
so your new pc should look something like this if youd buy now with your budget?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.76 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $869.65

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
If you look at current pricing of first-gen Ryzen CPUs, they have become ridiculously cheap compared to their launch price with the Ryzen 1700 available for as low as $160. That's probably where you can expect the Ryzen 2700 to be at 6-8 months after the Ryzen 3xxx' launches.

This is a long time to wait if you are eager to upgrade right now, but the rewards are quite considerable. Also, RAM and SSD prices are still dropping, might save another $30-40 on 16GB RAM and 480+GB SSD by buying a few more months from now too. If you are planning to replace the HD6850, I'd recommend waiting for Navi even if only to see how much down-pressure it'll put on GPU prices, I'm hoping for a significant shakeup in performance per dollar.

the only real bummer part about waiting that long is that you are then closer to the next big thing and it wouldve been better to enjoy what you can buy now than wait that long. hahaha

I would suggest the Ry2600 and using the price difference for a good HSF to cool it. You will most definitely get a lot of extra performance out of the 2600 with a good cooling solution, then fast RAM and finally, a good MoBo for keeping the Turbo up as much as possible through tweaking.

I'm also talking from experience here as a 2700X owner. It gets really hot pushing Turbo speeds all the time and the Wraith Stealth won't let the 2600 stretch its legs in full. It will work, but not at its best.

Cheers!

InvalidError

Titan
the only real bummer part about waiting that long is that you are then closer to the next big thing and it wouldve been better to enjoy what you can buy now than wait that long. hahaha
Yes, but then you have to pay $50-100 more for that privilege. If you are willing to pay current prices for 2nd-gen Ryzen, you may be able to afford 3rd-gen near launch instead of pinching dollars with 2nd-gen.

Mar 31, 2019
so your new pc should look something like this if youd buy now with your budget?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.76 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $869.65

Yes more or less it is

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Yes, but then you have to pay $50-100 more for that privilege. If you are willing to pay current prices for 2nd-gen Ryzen, you may be able to afford 3rd-gen near launch instead of pinching dollars with 2nd-gen.

I do agree with that but i think i failed to mention that if he could wait abit more then he could potentially land himself a great deal with Ryzen 3xxx cpus.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Yes more or less it is

good luck building and gaming then, thats a pretty powerful gaming pc there.
but again AMDs new cpus are just around the corner you may get more for your money if you can wait a bit, but if not good luck on your purchase and you can always upgrade your cpu soon if you feel like it, it just needs a BIOS update to get Ryzen 3rd gen to work on a B450 chipset.

InvalidError

Titan
I do agree with that but i think i failed to mention that if he could wait abit more then he could potentially land himself a great deal with Ryzen 3xxx cpus.
Which is basically what I wrote. Depending on what AMD's price structure ends up being, the same money for 2xxx now may be enough for similar performance tier on 3xxx. First alleged price leak said $160 for 8c16t 3600 non-X, which smells too good to be true. I could imagine $200.