[SOLVED] ryzen 5 2600 or i-5 9600K - for home NAS and virtualization

Dec 14, 2018
Hi,

I narrowed down my search to ryzen 5 2600 or i-5 9600K - for home NAS and virtualization.
I'll be using CPU for ocassional database stuff, and for having 2-3 virtual OS (on top of ESXi), one of which will have Synology installed (on tope of Xpenology).

What are your thoughts on these two CPU in terms or performance and temperature/cooling req.?

I also heard that Ryzen 5 2600 does not support virtualization; and that in general AMD is less mature for virtualizaion compared to Intel...is that true?

Thanks.

Solution
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2fdd09d4-827b-4c6d-b727-979cc20f4dbe/hyperv-and-new-amd-ryzen?forum=winserverhyperv

Quick bit of searching going that in relation to hyper v.

I would suggest trying out hyper v. We use that at work. We are actually trying to move off of VMware due to cost. You can get the hypervisor for free with Microsoft, and manage it from Windows 10.

As far as AMD, they've been making chips for years since at least the 70s, so I don't think you'll have to many issues. I know in the thread one guy had issues with an Android app or something because of the code wanting genuine Intel or something.

But what will perform better, I would say the 2600 due to the fact it has hyper threading...
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2fdd09d4-827b-4c6d-b727-979cc20f4dbe/hyperv-and-new-amd-ryzen?forum=winserverhyperv

Quick bit of searching going that in relation to hyper v.

I would suggest trying out hyper v. We use that at work. We are actually trying to move off of VMware due to cost. You can get the hypervisor for free with Microsoft, and manage it from Windows 10.

As far as AMD, they've been making chips for years since at least the 70s, so I don't think you'll have to many issues. I know in the thread one guy had issues with an Android app or something because of the code wanting genuine Intel or something.

But what will perform better, I would say the 2600 due to the fact it has hyper threading.

If I can toss out another option, check out the ryzen 1700 or 1700x. They should be discounted a little since the 2000 series is out. And the 8 core 16 threads would be a benefit for you, especially if you need to add to the workload. I think the only drawback would be a slight drop in ipc, but for your purpose, you may not really notice.

Solution
Dec 14, 2018
Good points. Thanks. I qualify for free ESXi based on my minimalistic use of ESXi.

I was on verge to go with AMD, until I noticed a big hiccup: ESXi is extremely picky about NIC, and none of the NICs on AMD motherboards (for public, not industry) are compatible with ESXI. For example, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F83RY49/?tag=pcpapi-20 (and almost all other) have Realtek NICs. Realtek is not listed on ESXi compatibility site. Nor are there any support forums that suggest workaround.

I could buy and install compatible NIC, but it's yet another hassle (and $50 expense) on top of everything else. I like AMD motherboards, especially external I/O are better than Intel's mobos, but I am concerned about this NIC.

Also, if I go with AMD CPU, I'll need to buy separate GPU, which is another $50 expense. Given that my server will be running headless, I don't need GPU beyond the one that is integrated with CPU, and that gives me bare bon access to update BIOS and install ESXi.

In terms of Hyper-V, it does not have good support for my use case. I plan to use virtualization for Synology DSM, Linux, and Microsoft 7. The support forum is specifically built around ESXi-Xpenology-Synology, and community support is excellent. From everything I've read ESXi is the most mature Type 1 virtualizer, with the best GUI, and excellent community support.

Based on my use, I do not need any license for ESXi, therefore the cost is 0$.

Generally, virtualization will be used ONLY to play around with up to 4-5 OS, run Plex movies, and run 5GB database queries from time to time.

I'll probably settle for Intel of 8th generation...

Anything will be better than what I have now: Intel Celeron N3060 dual core....it does everything I need except, run queries smoothly, run Plex smoothly, and run virtualization smoothly. (In fact I have Oracle db installed in Docker, on top of Synology DSM and it works FINE!. It's just slow to insert and query data).