Question Ryzen 5 2600 or i5-9400F?

Dec 8, 2019
Hey guys,

It was my birthday recently and I got some money for pc upgrades. Right now Im rocking a G4560 and GTX 1050, however Im selling this pc to gain a bigger budget for my new pc, since I cant upgrade this cpu to a newer i5 without getting a new motherboard (so I've heard).
My estimated budget would be around €500 and my question is - which cpu should I buy? Ryzen 5 2600 or i5 9400F? Of course it would be much easier to buy the ryzen cpu since its about €20 cheaper where I live, but the intel cpu is a little bit better and more stable. Also I have this really random question of which cpu is easier to install? It will be my first time building a pc and for some reason Im hella scared to not bend the pins on the cpu or motherboard. Im asking this because I've heard that there is a slightly bigger chance of failure to install an amd cpu cause of the pins being on the cpu and not on the motherboard. Sorry if I made some dumb mistakes in this thread, Im a noob at building PCs :)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
a little bit better? yes a little, tiny little bit. stable? pshaw. stability or instability can happen with either manufacturer. intel is more restrictive and thus may be easier to setup with fewer options, but stability? stability is available on either side of the aisle.

as to CPU installation, I prefer AMD. my whole career CPU's have has pins on the bottom. pins that are easy to straighten as opposed to the "pins" on an intel socket. they are at weird angles and a damaged pin is far scarier on an intel than an AMD. they both are Zero Insertion Force or ZIF sockets. align the processor in the only way it will align and let gravity do what it does, then close the socket. same for both.

the "slightly bigger chance of failure" is a wash. as stated bending a pin can be rectified on an AMD CPU but bent pins in an intel socket are trickier. the solution to both is to only handle the processor when you install it, then leave it alone. do not handle or play with it before your ready to use it, grip by the edges alone. use no force to insert it. its really that simple.

most damage to pins happen because of idiocy. playing with it. dropping the CPU on the socket pins is a huge one on intel sockets. it will come in a clear plastic holder, oogle it inside that and only open it when its time to seat it. an ounce of precaution is worth a metric ton of cure.

you asked, most noobs do not which already puts you ahead of the curve.
welcome to the forums.