Question Ryzen 5 2600 Overclocking questions

vill4geidi0t

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
Hello all,

Any help would be appreciated.
I have a ryzen 5 2600 with an msi b450m Gaming Plus and a cryorig h7.

I use the CPU with a GTX 1070 and was wondering realistically what performance increase I would see from overclocking while gaming. Is it even worth overclocking it?

Second does the 2600 support precision boost overdrive since I've heard that's actually efficient and if so how do I use it? Is that adaptive in nature or will it lock voltage and clock speeds in at a constant rate?

I have seen the overclocking guides but I also wanted to ask if it will lock all cores on the processor at the manual clock speed at a constant voltage, or after I achieve a stable overclock can I set then back to being adaptive so the voltage and clock speed changes with the workload?

It depends on your monitor resolution and refresh rate whether your system will benefit from a CPU OC. If you are mostly GPU bound, you may not see much of an FPS increase from an overclock.

Ryzen -x CPUs have support for PBO, but not your 2600. You will need to manually overclock.

Setting them back to auto will make them adaptive, but remove your overclock. An overclocked 2600 can downclock at idle depending on bios settings and windows power management setting.

As for what to expect overclocking. I would expect 4.0-4.1ghz at around 1.3-1.4v.

vill4geidi0t

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
It depends on your monitor resolution and refresh rate whether your system will benefit from a CPU OC. If you are mostly GPU bound, you may not see much of an FPS increase from an overclock.

Ryzen -x CPUs have support for PBO, but not your 2600. You will need to manually overclock.

Setting them back to auto will make them adaptive, but remove your overclock. An overclocked 2600 can downclock at idle depending on bios settings and windows power management setting.

As for what to expect overclocking. I would expect 4.0-4.1ghz at around 1.3-1.4v.

How will I tell if I'm GPU or CPU bound? Will MSI afterburner show me?

What sort of settings would I need for it to down lock? Is there any harm in having it run at a higher clock speeds and voltage while using it?

TRENDING THREADS