Question Ryzen 5 2600 Overheating 2021

Apr 3, 2021
My ryzen 5 2600 processor is just months old yet it peaks up to 100C. can someone help me out?
CPU Usage is at 20% but it runs at 90C.

Things i've done:
Check airflow
Check stock cooler
Undervolted the processor
Opened side panel for much better airflow
Reseated stock fan / re-applied thermal paste

I'm running on windows 10 pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should ideally be on version 20H2 for Windows 10. Perhaps see if you can update to the latest version or backup your critical content and reinstall your OS, after fabricating the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Make and model of your motherboard and it's BIOS version?

Undervolting doesn't tell us what vcore you have now, your mobo may have started with way too high settings.
For the same reason check your bios PPT TDC EDC values.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc
Also check your mobo vrm temps, everybody keeps forgetting that the mobo is the one that has to handle the CPU.

off-topic:
"Opened side panel for much better airflow"
That is not so, air flow is the flow of air from front to back or vice versa to get as much heat of of there as possible, opening the side panel provides the best airing (airration?! )

Apr 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should ideally be on version 20H2 for Windows 10. Perhaps see if you can update to the latest version or backup your critical content and reinstall your OS, after fabricating the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Make and model of your motherboard and it's BIOS version?

I have a B450M Mortar Max, Bios 2.80

Apr 3, 2021
Undervolting doesn't tell us what vcore you have now, your mobo may have started with way too high settings.
For the same reason check your bios PPT TDC EDC values.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc
Also check your mobo vrm temps, everybody keeps forgetting that the mobo is the one that has to handle the CPU.

off-topic:
"Opened side panel for much better airflow"
That is not so, air flow is the flow of air from front to back or vice versa to get as much heat of of there as possible, opening the side panel provides the best airing (airration?! )

Mobo VRM Temps is @ PCH 48, VR MOS 44

My current cpu voltage on bios is currenty set to 1.125 @ 3.4ghz.

I tried running OCCT CPU TEST 13 mins in, it said CPU-Crashed.

I tried this processor on 3 different motherboards.

Also i'm just getting random spikes like from 75 it goes up to 85 sometimes 90 in a second

Apr 3, 2021
I've been running on 2.8ghz @ 1.125V now because i still get high temps on stock settings. now, i don't get past 85-ish. Sad, but i can't maximize my CPUs potential.