Question Ryzen 5 2600 Question

Aug 23, 2019
Hello, I'm planning to buy the AMD Ryzen 5 2600. My question is, do I have to buy thermal paste for it? Or does it come with some on the cpu cooler? Or what?

dmitche31958

Reputable
Aug 13, 2019
I will qualify my answer as, I'm no expert nor do I play one on TV. My problem with the stock cooler "paste" is that they call it a "CLUE". Am I right or wrong? I had read about people popping the lid off of their CPUs when removing the cooler and that they forget to move the lever to unlock the CPU. Knowing that I can be forgetful at times I don't want to know that I'm going to ruin my CPU because of the usage of a clue.
So, whether or not it does any good I put one small drop of Artic Silver paste on my 3600x. I don't think it will hurt and I don't know if it will help with the 'cluing' of the cooler to the CPU, but I like to think that I tried to prevent a probem.

One drop isn't enough that I've noticed any temperature problems with the CPU. Running 98% I hit a high of 90C which according to AMD is still 5C below the limit. Not that I run the CPU at that temperature for long periods of time. :)