Question Ryzen 5 2600 randomly starts overheating during game play, resulting in shutdowns.

Apr 17, 2020
Recently, while playing games my Ryzen 5 has recently started reaching temperatures of up to 90 degrees Celsius, is this too hot/what are normal operating temperatures. Want to emphasise that this has only started yesterday, but that I haven't been keeping track of my CPU's temps. It isn't overclocked or anything either.

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
ive been running the stock cooler for over a year now, but it could be older as I've had two ryzens.
Have you checked that it is screwed in properly?
That the plastic film to stop the paste rubbiing off in transit is removed?
That it is spinning fast?
Mine used to reach 89 but I went into the bios and set up a fan curve for it to run full speed at 60 and until 75

Apr 17, 2020
Have you checked that it is screwed in properly?
That the plastic film to stop the paste rubbiing off in transit is removed?
That it is spinning fast?
Mine used to reach 89 but I went into the bios and set up a fan curve for it to run full speed at 60 and until 75
I always screw it in properly, and the plastic film was taken off when it was first installed. I'll try to set up a fan curve like that, is there somewhere I can look to tell me how.

Jun 21, 2020
Recently, while playing games my Ryzen 5 has recently started reaching temperatures of up to 90 degrees Celsius, is this too hot/what are normal operating temperatures. Want to emphasise that this has only started yesterday, but that I haven't been keeping track of my CPU's temps. It isn't overclocked or anything either.

Is the fan fully screwed in? and also is there enough thermal paste to make full contact with the CPU?