Question Ryzen 5 2600 running at around 85 whilst gaming

Jul 31, 2019
I am using the stock cooler and I haven't over clocked, I disabled the automatic core boost and actually "Under clocked" my CPU to 3 GHz to try to lower temperatures. I have two case fans in a push pull configuration. I managed to hit 91 in gta and lowered distance scaling which lowered the temperature by 7c. I hit 86 Average in rust and 71 in CS:GO.

Jul 31, 2019
What is your ambient temp?

It sounds like the cooler may not be installed correctly, the plastic cover wasn't removed or the software your using isn't reading the temp correctly.
Ambient Temp: I don't have anything to measure it but it isn't really hot
Cooler is 100% on properly
I don't think there ever was plastic wrap, I had 5 ryzen 5 2600s trying to fix something with my pc not working not one had plastic
I used ryzen master, HSInfo64, coretemp and MSI Afterburner and they all read the same temp

Jul 31, 2019
the stock cooler should be able to keep it cool to a point people OC to near and over 4 GHz with the stock cooler.
EDIT: It also gives its self around 3 core boost to almost 4ghz without messing with any settings, I disabled it, to lower the temps.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
What is the temperature in the room where your PC is located?
My Ryzen 5 2600 is OC'd to 4 GHz and idles at 29 to 31C with my Arctic 33 eSports Edition cooler.
But my ambient (room) temperature is around 22 C.
Your CPU should not idle at much more than 15C above your room temperature even with the stock cooler.

Oct 22, 2018
the stock cooler should be able to keep it cool to a point people OC to near and over 4 GHz with the stock cooler.
EDIT: It also gives its self around 3 core boost to almost 4ghz without messing with any settings, I disabled it, to lower the temps.
Whats your case, if its a bad airflow case like the Coolermaster masterbox lite 5 rgb the ventalation is so bad that all the hot air rises and the cpu cooler cannot disperse all the heat. I reccomend upgrading the cpu cooler or case if thats whats happening

Reactions: DMAN999
Jul 31, 2019
What is the temperature in the room where your PC is located?
My Ryzen 5 2600 is OC'd to 4 GHz and idles at 29 to 31C with my Arctic 33 eSports Edition cooler.
But my ambient (room) temperature is around 22 C.
Your CPU should not idle at much more than 15C above your room temperature even with the stock cooler.
My room temp isn’t 30c or 40c so 50 idle is bad i don’t have a thermometer to measure but it’s 20out side

Jul 31, 2019
Whats your case, if its a bad airflow case like the Coolermaster masterbox lite 5 rgb the ventalation is so bad that all the hot air rises and the cpu cooler cannot disperse all the heat. I reccomend upgrading the cpu cooler or case if thats whats happening
It’s a CiT prism RGB I moved a fan so I had somebody rear exhaust the top of the case was getting hot but that fixed it

Jul 31, 2019
I took the fan of and it turns out that there was hardly any thermal paste on it, I refit the fan and now i get max 71 on rust (been playing for 4 hours) and I was able to set it to default clock speeds but I will be upgrading to cooler though.

Oct 22, 2018
I took the fan of and it turns out that there was hardly any thermal paste on it, I refit the fan and now i get max 71 on rust (been playing for 4 hours) and I was able to set it to default clock speeds but I will be upgrading to cooler though.
If your budget is around $40-$50 I recommend the products from scythe(specifically the scyhte fuma or the scythe mugen) theyre like mini noctua nh d15s, just a tad louder

Reactions: rigg42