[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600 Running Crazy Hot On Stock Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2018
So I just got a new Ryzen 5 2600 Processor, and I'm using the stock cooler. So I went to check my temps and I'm sitting at 80 - 95 Degrees Celsius on idle and while gaming and I don't know if I should be concerned or this is perfectly normal for Ryzen.

Specs :
Case : RAIDMAX Cobra Z ATX-502WBR Black / Red Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower
Motherboard : ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (AM4)
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
Graphics Card : ASUS GTX 1050ti 4GB OC Edition
Power Supply : EVGA 750 Watt Gold+ PSU
Storage : TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 1TB HDD
Cooling : 3 Case fans
Front fan blowing air in
Top Blowing air out
Back Blowing air out
CPU Stock cooler that came with Ryzen 5 2600

Reactions: neilllll
Solution
Ok, what I would suggest then is to make sure the overheat protection / shutdown for your CPU is enabled in the bios. That way if anything does go wrong you can reduce a meltdown risk.

Next I'd suggest you experiment with various free monitoring software to double check what's going on. HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner for example. A quick Google search has thrown all sorts of minor issues with 2000 series Ryzen and their motherboards misreporting temps, sometimes even with Ryzen Master (although it tends to be right in other people's experience) Also investigate if your motherboard drivers are current, if it's BIOS is up to date and if your versions of Ryzen Master/Speccy are the latest.

The fact that you only found this "issue" from...

rustigsmed

Distinguished
might be worth going to task manager and seeing if anything is happening behind the scenes (cpu useage - is it a high percentage?).

next i'd remove the cooler, and reapply thermal paste and refit. as they come pre-pasted it might have been a bit thin on.

No, that is not normal at all and entirely too hot. Did you assemble the system yourself? If so did you remove the plastic cover on the heatsink that keeps the thermal paste "fresh" before mounting it on the CPU? Did you secure the heatsink properly and totally fasten it down to the CPU? DId you plug the cooler's fan into the CPU fan motherboard header?

Sometimes the thermal compound that comes with the cooler can be old as it may have been sitting on the shelf for awhile, in that case it would be a good idea to remove all the old thermal compound with rubbing alcohol and reapply a quality thermal compound. My favorite is thermal grizzly Kryonaut.

Your current temps are most definitely unsafe and need to be dealt with right away.

Dec 30, 2018
No, I used fresh thermal paste something ARCTIC MX-4 - Thermal Compound. I did assemble it myself and it is mounted but it took me a couple of times to get it on right and maybe that thinned the thermal paste too much?

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you set the heatsink on the CPU, removed it and then replaced it, it could have introduced air pockets in the thermal paste which does not conduct heat from the CPU. I'd recommend removing, cleaning the thermal paste and reapplying.

For the record, checking my temps while typing this, for my Ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooling and pre-applied thermal paste, reads between 42° C and 56°C.

-Wolf sends

Dec 30, 2018

I re-applied thermal paste and I'm still reading 80* C on boot and all of my fans are working.

PistolPaul

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
Q - what are you using to determine temperature?

I only ask because you state the over temperature exists at idle and gaming but you're not saying you are seeing any performance issues. I don't know about everyone else but usually any time I've had a temperature issue it has really badly impacted performance. A stuck pump on an AIO Cooler really was obvious when I fired up a game and was at least hinted at while doing simple browser work before that. So if performance is fine but the numbers are reading that high perhaps only the source of those numbers are wrong?

Check out any mobo utility software and / or programs like HW Monitor and confirm the temps with another program, also confirm your hardware health in the bios at bootup and see what's happening there too...

Dec 30, 2018

I'm using both ryzen master utility and speccy to measure my temps. I don't really experience problems in games if anything this is 100x better than my old processor. But I'm checking my temps because I'm not to comfortable with the idea of having an air cooler on an AMD chip. (I have this bad feeling about air cooling AMD chips because my older brothers computer's CPU literally melted down and would shut down about a minute into boot.)

PistolPaul

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
Ok, I understand you, and yes usually on my new builds the first thing I do is check temps. But you can see my point though that if nothing bad is happening it may be that the temperature value isn't real. For that reason I'd at least try and get another opinion Eg check with another bit of software... and also at boot up at least sit at the bios screen and see what's happening with temps there too.

Dec 30, 2018

Yes I removed the plastic, but how would I install it incorrectly? I'm pretty sure I got it in right.

Dec 30, 2018

I checked my BIOS and my temps were normal on launch 30* C so I guess speccy and ryzen master were giving me invalid temps.

Dec 30, 2018

First time I put the cooler I did not, but when I put it on again re doing the thermal paste as the other guy suggested.

PistolPaul

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
Ok, what I would suggest then is to make sure the overheat protection / shutdown for your CPU is enabled in the bios. That way if anything does go wrong you can reduce a meltdown risk.

Next I'd suggest you experiment with various free monitoring software to double check what's going on. HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner for example. A quick Google search has thrown all sorts of minor issues with 2000 series Ryzen and their motherboards misreporting temps, sometimes even with Ryzen Master (although it tends to be right in other people's experience) Also investigate if your motherboard drivers are current, if it's BIOS is up to date and if your versions of Ryzen Master/Speccy are the latest.

The fact that you only found this "issue" from mere curiosity is rather telling. If you had been playing games or running other apps and the machine was grinding to a halt then I'd agree - it's overheating. But the performance you say you are getting doesn't match the temps your CPU says it is struggling with.

Basically sensors can report any value but the CPU can't fake good performance, and you feel your machine is running well. And generally an overheating CPU won't run games smoothly....

Good luck sorting this out but I suspect all is well and and it's just a bad sensor or an incorrect reporting of it in software.

Solution

prinngle

Prominent
Jun 13, 2018
don’t worry, just putting it out there, i’ve just installed a ryzen 2600 cpu and once all fitted correctly and booted up I loaded up speccy, and got the readings of 80-100 degrees and knew something was up, however i downloaded other apps such as core temp and my readings where completely normal then furthermore i checked my bios for CPU temperatures and they where normal at around 30 degrees idle for the ryzen chip, i’ve monitored and gamed on this chip tonight and the highest it reaches was 65 degrees whilst under load gaming.

Therefore i believe speccy gives some incorrect readings with this chip, you shouldn’t worry if you have other software reporting similar temperatures as you bios :)

Sep 18, 2020
So I just got a new Ryzen 5 2600 Processor, and I'm using the stock cooler. So I went to check my temps and I'm sitting at 80 - 95 Degrees Celsius on idle and while gaming and I don't know if I should be concerned or this is perfectly normal for Ryzen.

Specs :
Case : RAIDMAX Cobra Z ATX-502WBR Black / Red Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower
Motherboard : ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (AM4)
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
Graphics Card : ASUS GTX 1050ti 4GB OC Edition
Power Supply : EVGA 750 Watt Gold+ PSU
Storage : TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 1TB HDD
Cooling : 3 Case fans
Front fan blowing air in
Top Blowing air out
Back Blowing air out
CPU Stock cooler that came with Ryzen 5 2600

Hey, i'd like to ask if your problem is already solved?
My Ryzen 5 2600 i bought last week.
SPECS:
Case: Keytech t3000
MBoard: Aorus b40 elite
Procs: Ryzen 5 2600 (Inplay heatsink)
Ram: 1x8 ramsta 2600Mhz
Gpu: Msi Ventus 1050 oc
PSU: 500 +80 vortex
Storage: 215ssd, 500 hdd
Cooling: 1 rear, 2 top, 1 front
PS. The Heatsink i have is not from the Ryzen stock, because the store i brought from gave me the generic inplay heatsink.

The problem is-----
Idle 50C
Youtube 60C
Offline Games 80C - 85C
Right now installing GTAV 90C
Valorant or LOL 90C

all the temp check i run is all accurate and the stress test is also accurate, the max i got is 100. I read all the solution u got with the thermal paste. Yes i remove the plastic before using it.

Should i buy Cpu Heatsink ing Gammaxx 400ex? It would decrease my temp if i buy it????
Thanks!!!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ie7ywJG.jpg

This thread is almost two years old. Please start your own, new thread.

Closing.
Wolfshadw

Reactions: neilllll
Status
Not open for further replies.