[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600 thermal throttle on CoolerMaster Ml120lite

florianwahl2

Commendable
Aug 13, 2018
Hi,
I have my ryzen 5 2600 not overclocked on a Msi b450 gaming pro carbon in a FSP CMT 340. When i stress test with prime 95 the CPU temperatur goes up to 78°C, but i found youtube videos with the same cooler and same CPU where its OC to 4 Ghz and still runs much cooler without throttling. Could it be a bad thermalpaste or the different fan (i am using the fan that came with my case). How do you think can i fix this issue

Solution
I think its thermalthrottling because the core frequency drops from 3.722 to about 3.5 and i get framerate drops in many games to about 20-30 fps for about .5 seconds.

The 2600 base clock is 3.4. It is not throttling. The boost is dropping based on the stress of the CPU. There is a lot that goes in to how the boost works (load, frequency, voltage, temp). Temp is a factor, but 78C is not making the boost drop.

Your frame rate drops are not because the CPU frequency drops from 3.7 to 3.5. Something else is causing that.
78C is not thermal throttling. That CPU throttles at 95C. 78C is not bad for Prime95.

Also, you cant believe everything you see on youtube. There are also other things to consider than just the CPU and cooler. The configuration of the system, ambient temperature, the case. If the testing was done on an open air bench, it will be cooler than it would be in a case.

I think its thermalthrottling because the core frequency drops from 3.722 to about 3.5 and i get framerate drops in many games to about 20-30 fps for about .5 seconds.

The 2600 base clock is 3.4. It is not throttling. The boost is dropping based on the stress of the CPU. There is a lot that goes in to how the boost works (load, frequency, voltage, temp). Temp is a factor, but 78C is not making the boost drop.

Your frame rate drops are not because the CPU frequency drops from 3.7 to 3.5. Something else is causing that.

Solution