[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600 update BIOS?

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard : ASROCK B450M-HDV
Current BIOS : AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B (got it when I bought it)
Latest BIOS : AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 PI 1.0.0.6

Since the current installed BIOS is not reccommended for installation in Ryzen 5 2600 in ASROCK's website, should I just go for the latest? There's nothing wrong now except my EDC always on 99% on 3.4 Ghz in 1.4 V with 55C idle temp on Ryzen Master.

BIOS source : https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M-HDV/index.asp#BIOS

Solution
If the processor came with the motherboard, I'd put a black mark next to that seller and not purchase from them again. If you purchased the processor separately, then there's really nothing you can do about that.

Unless you're having stability issues with the system as it is, I'd not bother making any changes to the BIOS version. If the system is not stable AND YOU"VE ELIMINATED ALL OTHER POSSIBLE ISSUES, then I'd consider a roll-back of the BIOS.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
My question would be, since the Ryzen 5 2600 is compatible with the initial BIOS (1.10), why was the BIOS updated in the first place (or did it arrive, new, with this BIOS installed)?

If anything, I'd revert back to version 1.30 or older.

-Wolf sends

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
My question would be, since the Ryzen 5 2600 is compatible with the initial BIOS (1.10), why was the BIOS updated in the first place (or did it arrive, new, with this BIOS installed)?

If anything, I'd revert back to version 1.30 or older.

-Wolf sends
I bought it new with that BIOS already installed on the first place

Wolfshadw

Titan
If the processor came with the motherboard, I'd put a black mark next to that seller and not purchase from them again. If you purchased the processor separately, then there's really nothing you can do about that.

Unless you're having stability issues with the system as it is, I'd not bother making any changes to the BIOS version. If the system is not stable AND YOU"VE ELIMINATED ALL OTHER POSSIBLE ISSUES, then I'd consider a roll-back of the BIOS.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020

-Wolf sends
I bought it separately and it was all sealed. I don't have any further ideas how the BIOS is updated from the first place

There're no much of problems currently except the EDC problem. The Windows run stable and there's no randomly shut down or restart.

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
Go to Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Power Options.

What options are listed there and what is selected? Be sure to click the Show Additional Plans as well.

-Wolf sends
Windows Balanced Mode, Ryzen Balanced Mode, High Performance and Power Saver

I've tried to all the options and the Windows Balanced Mode, High Performance, Ryzen Balanced Mode outcome the same. While the Power Saver turn the CPU Core and stuck at 1.7 Ghz that makes the EDC come down to 27%

Or when I put the Maximum Process to 99% it put the CPU Core stuck at 2.7 Ghz and makes the EDC stuck at 50%

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Windows Balanced Mode, Ryzen Balanced Mode, High Performance and Power Saver

I've tried to all the options and the Windows Balanced Mode, High Performance, Ryzen Balanced Mode outcome the same. While the Power Saver turn the CPU Core and stuck at 1.7 Ghz that makes the EDC come down to 27%

Or when I put the Maximum Process to 99% it put the CPU Core stuck at 2.7 Ghz and makes the EDC stuck at 50%

What happens if you turn down the Minimum Processor State to around 5%?

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
OK. My Internet is back up and stable.

Looking into this a bit more, the changes I suggested above should have resolved this issue. I'm not sure why it didn't for you. I'm not running Ryzen Master on my system, but I suspect that if I were, my EDC (CPU) would also be running at around 99% as my power settings are set for High Performance. Minimum and Maximum Processor States are both set to 100% and I've not noted any issues with my system (which runs 24/7).

-Wolf sends

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
OK. My Internet is back up and stable.

Looking into this a bit more, the changes I suggested above should have resolved this issue. I'm not sure why it didn't for you. I'm not running Ryzen Master on my system, but I suspect that if I were, my EDC (CPU) would also be running at around 99% as my power settings are set for High Performance. Minimum and Maximum Processor States are both set to 100% and I've not noted any issues with my system (which runs 24/7).

-Wolf sends
I see. Anyway we both have the same processor lol I just notice it. Do you have HWinfo installed? Can you take a look on the Volt, Temp and Clock of your processor?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Here's what I have:

Gk0IvBv.jpg

-Wolf sends

Edit: Here are my Windows Power Settings:

rYE0cHT.jpg

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
Here's what I have:

Gk0IvBv.jpg

-Wolf sends
Is that idle temp? Damn. Then I was just overthinking a lot lol. And, I think I'm just very dumb at checking details. At the AMD Ryzen Master there's an option where you can put all of 6 cores locked at certain core speed. Like, all of the cores are tied up together to work on that certain speed and it won't go down or go up without you tweaking it in AMD Ryzen Master. And I just discovered it seconds ago :). I feel like I just wasted your time for this long for nonsense mistakes. I'm so sorry about that.