Ryzen 5 2600 w/ MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon, Ram choice, don't plan on oc'ing but would like to get decent out of the box speed

Aug 2, 2018
Seems simple enough. But I'm having what they call analysis paralysis. Lol. Seriously. I'm caught up over samsung B-die nonsense hype, even though I have no plans of oc'ing, and if I did down the line it'd only be to ensure I get the 3200 advertised rather than 2800.

Plus, my understanding off DDR4 is that it sends insane amounts of data per nanosecond. My brain is telling me that anything over 2600 is more than enough. Besides the 'potential' more steady fps in a game or two it might help the machine perform better and more stable with several things open, like streaming w/ multiple programs open. Or for longer term tasks like some youtube rendering I might be doing soon.

Really though, I don't think I need or see all that much of a difference and while I'd like to achieve the speeds on the side of the box I'm not super worried about doing that immediately and am def patient enough to see if it gets there through updates to BIOS/mobo/processor whatever.

Looking at some model who land in the $150-$170 range. THen I got feedback that with an extra $50 I'd have no worries. THen again if I spend an extra $50 on every bit of my computer my high-mid end computer would be $1200+.

That's where my brain is at. Part of me is looking for an 'you'll be fine with x' and part of me is making sure I understand enough to make that decision. It's almost a fear of not knnowing what I might not know.

MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Ryzen 5 2600

I'd like to buy from Amazon. I get cashback on purchases with Discover and it'll enable me to go for a Rx 580 for basically free/with money already spent.

Some I'm looking at on QVL list:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3000MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0134EW7G8?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3000MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07BWQVYC5?th=1

If you look closely between those two, there's two options for 8 x 2 =16 choices. One lists the model number the other doesn't. I can't find a way to identify what versions they are. My QVL though does suggest that it could be samsung,

LPX Grey was released on March 1st 2018 and the other was released July 20th. If that helps. i can't find anything about corsair version releases. In a way you could shop them by release date/first available.

Anyway, I'd appreciate quicker responses. This turned into a book. Just really been stressed more than I should be and want to pull the trigger on this.

Solution
Honestly I've been in the same situation with part picking before, and between these two either's a great choice but for me I'd save the money and go with the cheaper one. RAM clock speeds don't actually make THAT much of a difference in performance at all, especially if it's only a couple hundred megahertz.

Shameless plug tho, I got the G.SKill Ripjawz 5 at 3200mhz and I am not looking back.

PlasmaQuasar

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
Honestly I've been in the same situation with part picking before, and between these two either's a great choice but for me I'd save the money and go with the cheaper one. RAM clock speeds don't actually make THAT much of a difference in performance at all, especially if it's only a couple hundred megahertz.

Shameless plug tho, I got the G.SKill Ripjawz 5 at 3200mhz and I am not looking back.

Solution
Aug 2, 2018

Nailed it. Exactly my train of thought. The performance benefits aren't going to be that major. Plus, I was going for a mid range machine. Maybe slightly on the high end of the mid range but still. Getting 16 GB's overall is more important than anything else really.

Lol, thanks! Sometimes you get stuck in the minutia of things despite being ready to make the purchase.

Jul 30, 2018
Late answer here but it is ironic that you have almost the SAME build that I put together last weekend. I wanted the r5 2600 so that I can OC in the future, I went with the MSI B450 Carbon Pro Gaming AC (who comes up with these names anyway), and an xfx rx 580 8gb gpu. I was in the "RAM" crisis for a moment but with the B450 being relatively new to the market it came with an updated BIOS that didn't seem to have an issue at all. I ended up grabbing 16 GB of Corsair LTX 3000 mHZ off of ebay for $120. I was worried at first about the sticks working out, and the board didn't identify them right away! I thought I was in the dog house for trying to get a deal, but playing around with the bios I was able to get them recognized at 2933 which is close enough for me. I haven't tried overclocking the sticks at all, and probably won't need to in the foreseeable future. I think the most I have seen used on Afterburner is 4 gb. If you find any great tricks on your build or anything weird comes up let me know!

End build:
Ryzen r5 2600
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
16gb Corsair LPX 3000 mHZ vs. 5.39
xfx rx 580 8gb gtr Black 8 gb
Corsair MX 750 psu
Inland Pro 240 gb SSD
Seagate Barricuda 2 TB
Corsair SP 120 X 2
Corsair AP 120 X 3
Thermaltake View 22 case