[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600x 4.1 GHz at 1.39-1.4v constantly.

geogrgeporoia

Commendable
Feb 26, 2018
My new Ryzen 5 2600x is constantly at 1.4v at 4.0-4.1 GHz and at 1.475 at 4.44 GHz,is this the XFR and if it is,is it safe?

Motherboard:MSI B450M-A Pro Max
PSU:Xilence Performance A+ 630w

Solution
Yes, for the most part this is quite typical with Ryzen boost/voltage behaviour. You can off course set the voltage manually in bios, so that it doesn't fluctuate like that. But, you would be starting down the path of undervolting/overclocking, so it's worth reading up about it before trying it.
Yes, for the most part this is quite typical with Ryzen boost/voltage behaviour. You can off course set the voltage manually in bios, so that it doesn't fluctuate like that. But, you would be starting down the path of undervolting/overclocking, so it's worth reading up about it before trying it.

Solution

geogrgeporoia

Commendable
Feb 26, 2018
Thanks,cause it crashed in a weird way the sound was lagging and then the cpu crashed and that's why i was wondering!

geogrgeporoia

Commendable
Feb 26, 2018
It could be the CPU, but it's hard to diagnose without more information. Does it crash during games? Does it crash with a BSOD. Can you give exmaples of what happens when it crashes.
I changed motherboard and cpu,cause in the past the cpu had be burnt when i moved the psu cable slightly by accident while it was powered on and it burnt the cable and the cpu as it seemed.It crashed while idling with discord and chrome open,the sound went stuttering and then the pc went to a black screen with the CPU crashing most probably.I will now test it in game

I changed motherboard and cpu,cause in the past the cpu had be burnt when i moved the psu cable slightly by accident while it was powered on and it burnt the cable and the cpu as it seemed.It crashed while idling with discord and chrome open,the sound went stuttering and then the pc went to a black screen with the CPU crashing most probably.I will now test it in game

Ah, okay. Did you do a fresh install of Windows after changing mob and CPU? If you didn't, I'd suggest doing that.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
This is typical behaviour of Zen+ under the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan. It's meant to reduce the performance impact of moving threads between cores by keeping all cores in a high power state so they don't have to ramp after the frequency receiving work. It won't hurt the CPU as the voltage and clocks will adjust when the temperature rises. The most important downside in my opninion is the fact that it also seems to impact the maximum single-core boost clock negatively, as well as that idle power consumtion is slightly higher.

Stability issues are likely unrelated to the power plan behaviour, but I must note that this is the highest clocks I've seen from a stock 2600X so far. What cooler do you have and are you running PBO?

Reactions: DMAN999

geogrgeporoia

Commendable
Feb 26, 2018
Ah, okay. Did you do a fresh install of Windows after changing mob and CPU? If you didn't, I'd suggest doing that.
I didn't but backing up will be a hassle , i will see later!
This is typical behaviour of Zen+ under the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan. It's meant to reduce the performance impact of moving threads between cores by keeping all cores in a high power state so they don't have to ramp after the frequency receiving work. It won't hurt the CPU as the voltage and clocks will adjust when the temperature rises. The most important downside in my opninion is the fact that it also seems to impact the maximum single-core boost clock negatively, as well as that idle power consumtion is slightly higher.

Stability issues are likely unrelated to the power plan behaviour, but I must note that this is the highest clocks I've seen from a stock 2600X so far. What cooler do you have and are you running PBO?
No,stock cooler,had to press hard for it to fit correctly cause it only fit like from one side and got elevated from the other etc.Idk if PBO is enabled,but i just let the bios do the default settings i didn't setup anything max clock is 4.7 on all cores in HWmonitor... idk really what to say when the max is 4.2!

Tho the temps are bad,cinebench makes my ryzen reach 80c pretty quickly

I will send screenshot if you want or HWmonitor file

Last edited:

geogrgeporoia

Commendable
Feb 26, 2018
Yeah, I know backing up is hassle, but it's always advised to re-install windows after major hardware changes. You might get by with it, but you will be better off doing a fresh install.
That's true,but for now i wanna be sure that the hardware,especially the PSU is stable,this cpu hits 80c pretty quickly and i haven't tested any intensive games with it.

geogrgeporoia

Commendable
Feb 26, 2018
Is the cooler on correctly? If it's not on in all 4 corners it won't dissipate the heat properly. Might be worth trying to re-seat the cooler with fresh application of thermal paste, see if that helps.
The thermal paste i fear isn't the problem rather than the backplate or the cooler height and screws distance from the backplate standoffs.The cooler's screws seem to touch the backplate just exactly and so when i screw 1 of the sides in,the other side will get elevated,it was frustrating never the less.I will try and get the cooler to fit.
Anyhow,i might upgrade the cooler to an Arctic Freezer Xtreme later,the temps don't get to high in games 70-75~ C

Last edited:

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
The 4.7 GHz in HWMonitor is almost certainly misreported. I had mine report 5.5 GHz at times. HWInfo64 doesn't seem to have this issue.

Edit: I just tested my temps with Cinebench as well, 80C after about 1 minute of CB23 is normal with the stock cooler. It should stabilize around 85C. It's just the way these CPUs like to run.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS