Question Ryzen 5 2600x at high clock speed and voltage even when idling

Redthirst

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
So my new Ryzen 5 2600x seems to like to idle at 4+ GHz and 1.4 volts. I've read that it's fine and safe, but I want to fix it somehow.

What I want, ideally, is for it to stay at lower clocks and voltages when idling and then go all-out when under load.

I'm using Windows 10 balanced plan and it doesn't seem to help(nor does the Ryzen balanced one).

Switching to Power saver plan reduces the clocks and voltages, but it also prevents it from working at full capacity when under load.

Anything I can do to fix that?

if u looking at monitoring apps, then u are not idling at all
idling means doing nothing, monitoring apps will send to cpu requests at high frequency, which cpu considers as not being idle
RGB software, MSI afterbutner, etc are also mnitoring apps

use ryzen master

Redthirst

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
if u looking at monitoring apps, then u are not idling at all
idling means doing nothing, monitoring apps will send to cpu requests at high frequency, which cpu considers as not being idle
RGB software, MSI afterbutner, etc are also mnitoring apps

use ryzen master
It's the same when using Ryzen Master.

And if it's just because of the monitoring software or mouse movements(as some other people say), then how come switching to power saver mode actually keeps the clocks and voltages low and also reduces the temperature.

I see no reason why I should have cores at 4.2 GHz and 1.4 volts when I have 5% CPU usage. It literally makes no sense to me.

I've heard that it's normal and expected, but it just seems so weird and like a complete waste.

There are also significant temperature spikes when, again, nothing is happening to warrant increased performance. It just seems to boost for no reason at all.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS