Question ryzen 5 2600x blank screen

May 12, 2019
i recently purchased a ryzen 5 2600x to replace the ryzen 3 2200g im currently using but when the r5 is installed the screens are blank with the pc running like normal. i have updated the bios and gone back n forth several times between the two.
my mb is a gigabyte GA-ab350m-ds3h
my gpu is a gtx 1070
16gb of ram and a ssd

Have you tried doing a hard reset of the BIOS, WITH the R5 installed?

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Are these Ryzen systems, apparently, not capable of auto configuration based on whether a PCI graphics card is installed like previous systems? Just wondering as this isn't the first time I've heard of this happening with these CPUs, the 2200g and 2400g.

So then, as mentioned, try going into the bios with the 2200g installed and the display cable attached to the motherboard output, change the display setting from onboard/integrated to PCI/PEG, save settings, shut down, install the other CPU and your graphics card, move the display cable to the graphics card (I'm assuming you've moved the display cable to the graphics card on previous attempts to get a display signal, and not left it attached to the motherboard which of course, won't work) and then restart the system.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
May 12, 2019
the display output is already on pcie, i have integrated graphics turned off, still it wont even boot, just fans running from white to red rbg and then nothing, everythings moving as if its working but no display signal at all

Last edited:
Have you tried the graphics card in another system to make sure it even works? I would also try both a different display cable (Might not be the right standard, ie, HDMI 1.4 vs 2.0) or might be bad (Check both ends for bent pins. Just because a cable works with the integrated graphics doesn't necessarily mean it will work with your graphics card, and we've seen this before). Also try a different KIND of display cable, ie, displayport vs HDMI.

I don't see any mention of what EXACT power supply model you have, and this could VERY WELL be the problem because the iGPU uses maybe 10% of the amount of power that most discreet gaming cards need, so a low quality or low capacity PSU may not be a problem with the integrated graphics but may not work at all with the discreet card.

May 12, 2019
i dont have another system to test the gpu sadly but the cables are plugged into it and my psu is a 700watter not sure on the make. the cable is display port and i only have one monitor attached when trying the r5. but with the r3 everything seems to work including the gpu

Look on the PSU. You will need to remove the side panel. There should be a sticker or decal on the side that lists the product specifications and also the brand and series of the unit. In some cases, on very cheap models, that might be on one of the sides that is not viewable with the unit installed and you might have to remove the four screws holding it to the back of the case so you can turn the unit far enough to see the decal.

For any decent quality unit that decal should usually be on the side that is viewable with the unit installed in the case. Knowing the model is paramount to knowing if the unit is trustworthy or likely to be a problem or not. Knowing the capacity, ie "700w" doesn't really tell us much. Some 700w units are lucky if they can supply 400w continuously. Other very good 450w models might easily supply 550w continuously. Specific model usually tells the story.

Did you by the Ryzen 5 CPU used? Have you checked it closely for bent pins?

May 12, 2019
the psu is a thermaltake smart 700w. model sp700ah2nkw. the gpu works fine with the 2200g installed. at the moment i cant do anymore swaps and have to wait for thermal paste to get here. i will try some more of the suggestions then and continue to update

TRENDING THREADS