[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600X failure or B450 Tomahawk mischiefs?

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Hello people. So I have this issue and I have searched all over the internet. We will come to it but first I have seen this topic: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-or-motherboard-failure-help.235589/

Almost identical situation and troubleshooting. But let's get into mine.

First of all, specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk
RAM: 2x8GB GSkill RipjawsV 3000 Mhz
GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 O3G
Cooler: Cooler Master ML240L
Case: Thermaltake V200 with 650W PSU Thermaltake put into it, probably 80+

Tl;dr I was gaming yesterday and all of a sudden my screen went off and every fan in the case gone full speed. It scared me of course and my initial thought was "did my GPU just die?" but just like the topic from 2011 I did my part and narrowed it down to cpu and mobo. Funny thing is, I think it is the CPU.

I was using this setup for months. No recent BIOS updates(it was up to date), not a fresh build, no risque overclocking. Everything was perfectly fine until yesterday. I tested everything for about 4-5 hours. I could get into even BIOS so a dead GPU is out of the question. I picked my old Ryzen 3 2200G and tested with Both GTX 1060 and iGPU Vega 8 and bam, it's all working perfectly. With 2600X installed, everyrime I boot up I saw mobo logo and W10 loading but just before OS starting PC restarts. This goes for 2 cycles and in the end no post. The EZ Debug leds were on, especially CPU Led was in almost all the time during this process.

With my common knowledge I think this is a faulty CPU case(no pun intended). What do you people think tho? I contacted AMD RMA but still can't be sure about it. I wasn't even using an overclock on CPU at all. With liquid AIO Cooler temps never go above 65C. Everything else seems fine except 2600X but why? 🤔 Is this a message of a bad PSU or just me being unlucky?

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies.
As you explained, it does look like CPU gone (partially) dead. It happens rarely but it's not unheard of.
I could narrow it down to the mobo and more likely CPU but actually couldn't make my mind up on it. But I tested the CPU today and yeah, it's done. More on that below.

You mention "no risque overclocking" - is there any overclocking? If so, what frequency?
Actually, I was using it as out of the box settings since 2600X did not benefit using custom frequencies at all. Leaving it to it's own way was better for overall performance. Oh and I was using Ryzen Balanced Power Plan along with it. With the liquid cooler it was always below 65 degrees celsius, more like between 55-60. So I'm sure I took good care of my CPU. But I was using GPU OC and mobos special Ram timings and OC frequency. I don't think neither of these could fry CPU.

Do you have a spare power supply you could try with both 2600x and 2200G?
Waiting all day for an email from AMD was boring so I found a totally working B350 system and tried 2600X on there, with a supporting BIOS ofc. Yep, the motherboard logo appears, can even access to the BIOS but when OS starts to load, it freezes there.

I think I pretty much found my problem so, if anyone reads this in the future I hope it will be helpful to you. Sometimes things happens. There is only one possible explanation in my mind and that is probably a power surge hit the CPU. I can't believe that CPU just died for no reason so that must be it. Probably gotta get an UPS. :whistle:

Now, another hard part is warranty stuff with this quarantine going on. Yucks. Hope this won't take weeks.