Question Ryzen 5 2600x game crashes since RAM upgrade

Jan 11, 2020
G'day tom's hardware forum,

since I've upgraded my System from 16GB (2 sticks) RAM to 32GB (4 sticks) RAM I had big problems with BSODs.

My system:
  • Windows 10 Home
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600x (no OC)
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk
  • MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC (no OC)
  • 3x Crucial Sata SSDs with different capacity
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x 8GB, Item name: F4-3200C16D-16GVKB)
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (exactly the same kit again a few month later)
  • Peripherals (Mouse, keyboard, two monitors, PS4 controller, USB microphone, speakers)

I've searched for solutions in the internet and tried a few things.
Now I'm free of BSODs for some while. But I have frequently random crashes with many different games (RDR Online, Forza Horizon 4, AC Odyssey, Anno 1800 etc.). And I'm sure this is caused by the RAM.

With success, I have done the following things in my BIOS to get rid of the BSODs:
  1. The stock frequency with 4x 8GB RAM was 1866MHz. Changed to 2933Mhz.
  2. Changed the latency as BIOS suggested for 2933MHz frequency (16-18-18-18-36).
  3. Tested the RAM Voltage, currently on 1.260 V.
  4. Besides this everything stock in BIOS.
What else did I do?
Ran two Memtest86 (four passes) tests and the Windows memory test. Without errors.
Always updated Windows and drivers. Updated BIOS a few month ago.
Checked QVL for RAM.

If you need any other details, log files etc. just ask and I will upload it.

Thank you in advance!

Jan 11, 2020
That's correct. I know there is no guarantee that the system will run without problems with that.

I'm no expert so I'm asking if there could be an other cause for the crashes besides the mixing thing.

Jan 11, 2020
At the beginning the RAM voltage was just auto in BIOS. While I've tried to solve the BSODs I've set the Voltage to 1.30 V. And I also had problems with that.

Sorry EDIT: The reason why I've reduced the RAM Voltage was because of the rowhammer error in Memtest86 and because a friend said the voltage is way to high.

Last edited:
Your post reads you've upgraded your system and with success, you have done things in the BIOS to get rid of the BSODs.

What you call upgrade is something memory manufacturers won't guarantee to be compatible together.

You call success and cite some memory parameters you made. You then seem to go on and cite frequent crashes which makes clear the memory is no longer able to operate at rated specifications.

I suggest looking at the Memory Configurations table in the following link. In particular the officially supported speeds for having 4 of 4 memory slots filled.
Ryzen 5 2600X - AMD - WikiChip

Jan 11, 2020
Thank you. Yeah, I've saw this table before but I was not sure how important this actually is. I thought it'll maybe run without problems if I have the right settings.

Anyways, I guess set the frequency to 2.133MHz and observe if it runs smooth.

But for me it doesn't explain why I had the BSODs at the beginning with stock settings in BIOS (exclude eventual compatibility issues between the two RAM kits).

I just want to eliminate all other possible problems before buying maybe a new 2x 16GB kit.