[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600x or Ryzen 3 3100?

Oct 14, 2020
Hi all,

I currently have both of these processors here ready to use ... I only have one system, so will be selling whichever one I don't use off.

I'm trying to make a call as to which one is better to keep:

The 2600x has more cores/threads, slightly bigger L3 cache but is an older processor, a 12nm process and gets hotter.

The 3100 is newer, 7nm, but only has four cores/eight threads.

Rest of the system is 16Gb RAM, a B450 motherboard, GTX 1660 6Gb video card and a bunch of SSDs.

Main uses are regular office apps, some photo/video editing and X Plane 11.

Opinions all welcome - it seems pretty close based on everything I've read so far.

Solution
Agree with dimtodim: I would keep 2600X without even thinking much. In everyday use, performace difference between 4 and 6 cores (50% more cores) is bigger than going from 6 to 8 cores (33% more cores). Besides, 2600X has quite higher Boost frequency.
Yes, 2600X might require a bit better cooler (to run it silent on full load), but that shouldn't influence decision much. At the end, 95W TDP isn't considered as "a lot" nowaday.
Agree with dimtodim: I would keep 2600X without even thinking much. In everyday use, performace difference between 4 and 6 cores (50% more cores) is bigger than going from 6 to 8 cores (33% more cores). Besides, 2600X has quite higher Boost frequency.
Yes, 2600X might require a bit better cooler (to run it silent on full load), but that shouldn't influence decision much. At the end, 95W TDP isn't considered as "a lot" nowaday.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS