[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600X weird overclocking.

Nov 4, 2018
So i tried overclocking a while back using the Wraith Spire cooler to 4Ghz on all cores a little while ago, i ran cinebench as a quick test and without the overclock i got a score of about 1305 and with the overclock i got about 1150, i noted that my temps were reaching 90c and assumed that the bad score was a result of thermal throttling.

Now i have bought a Cooler Master ML240L RGB AIO Cooler and when gaming my temps never exceed 44c. This lead me to consider attempting to overclock the processor again. I tried overclocking to about 4.10/4.15 Ghz @ 1.3875v. This resultet in the exact same score: 1150 but with lower temps, stable at around 60-70c.

Is there a setting in the bios or something else that i am missing? I could really use some help with this. Thanks for any given response :)

Solution
In fact, you don't need to OC Ryzen Second Gen. B450 and Ryzen both has PBO, Precision Boost Overdrive ( Like Automatically OC), Look at Hardware Unboxed, gamer Nexus on Youtube, PBO always getting higher score than manual OC.
Nov 4, 2018
Im using the Asus Prime B450M-K motherboard with the driver from about 2 months ago. I took a look at asus's website and there is a new bios update that launched yesterday, i'm going to download it but i dont think it will solve the issue. Here is the link to my mobo's bios: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-B450M-K/HelpDesk_BIOS/. I am also using 3000Mhz ram.

aswindamara

Upstanding
Mar 16, 2018
In fact, you don't need to OC Ryzen Second Gen. B450 and Ryzen both has PBO, Precision Boost Overdrive ( Like Automatically OC), Look at Hardware Unboxed, gamer Nexus on Youtube, PBO always getting higher score than manual OC.

Solution

breakingfelony

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
Since I don't have a Ryzen yet :'( I don't know much about them but apparently this is part of a bug and if you reset the CMOS and try again this can sometimes resovle it. Apparently the bug prevents the CPU from getting over 1.5ghz. Have you checked to make sure that it is running at the full speed you've set.