[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3400G 2nd or 3rd Gen?

Ive been looking to buy the Ryzen 5 3400G on amazon uk, however, when looking today, not only has the price gone up, it says it is a 2nd Generation APU on the box, I thought it was a 3rd Generation APU?

Solution
Very conflicting info on this APU, some sites/reviews/shops say its 3rd gen and others say it's 2nd. Even on the boxes Ive seen it say 3rd and on others 2nd?
The first Ryzen series didn't have an APU; the only CPU with integrated graphics available when the AM4 socket came out were Excavator-based with a 3rd-gen GCN GPU. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD simply wanted to spare themselves the task of having to deal with both CPU and GPU BIOS woes at the same time and simply delayed their APUs by one generation. And, in order for the -G Ryzen to not be the one duck out, they "upclassed" them by one generation.
Now, it's not completely misleading : clock speeds for the 2400G were increased over the 1400, as were max RAM speeds and...
Ive been looking to buy the Ryzen 5 3400G on amazon uk, however, when looking today, not only has the price gone up, it says it is a 2nd Generation APU on the box, I thought it was a 3rd Generation APU?
It's clearly a 2nd gen (Zen+) chip. It is much improved over the 2400G (which was a Zen 1 part) with slightly better engraving (12nm+ instead of 14nm), much better thermal conductivity (indium solder instead of thermal paste) and a better cooler, but if you want Zen 2, you'll need to wait for the 4400G.

Reactions: sdedu77 and boju
It's clearly a 2nd gen (Zen+) chip. It is much improved over the 2400G (which was a Zen 1 part) with slightly better engraving (12nm+ instead of 14nm), much better thermal conductivity (indium solder instead of thermal paste) and a better cooler, but if you want Zen 2, you'll need to wait for the 4400G.
Very conflicting info on this APU, some sites/reviews/shops say its 3rd gen and others say it's 2nd. Even on the boxes Ive seen it say 3rd and on others 2nd?

The first Ryzen series didn't have an APU; the only CPU with integrated graphics available when the AM4 socket came out were Excavator-based with a 3rd-gen GCN GPU. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD simply wanted to spare themselves the task of having to deal with both CPU and GPU BIOS woes at the same time and simply delayed their APUs by one generation. And, in order for the -G Ryzen to not be the one duck out, they "upclassed" them by one generation.
Now, it's not completely misleading : clock speeds for the 2400G were increased over the 1400, as were max RAM speeds and latencies were reduced (mainly because while the 1400 was using 2 half-disabled CCXs, the 2400G used a single CCX). I'd rather see the 2400G as "1.5" Zen, than as being full first-gen. And, as I said before, the 3400G is a worthy upgrade over the 2400G, this time for pure engraving process reasons.

Solution