[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3400G fps issues

Sep 15, 2020
Hi!

I have bought a pc with the following hardware:

B450M DS3H motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
G-SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000Mhz 16GB RAM

Now my problem is that I can't get more than 15 fps in games like Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order or Battlefield 1. I use the same settings that you can see in the video below, according to which I should be having about 30 fps.
Battlefield 1 benchmark video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuoBpY3afWA

I have updated all the drivers as well. I just can't figure out what the problem is.
I would really appreciate your help!

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Download this zip file https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.93-en.zip and extract everything and run the program. This will tell you what BIOS version you are on plus what RAM model you have. After recording what RAM model you have (probably will need the product ID) go here and open the Picasso Memory Support List. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-doc See if your RAM is supported on that list and if so what speeds it is supported at. If it isn't on that list, that means there is no guarantee it will work correctly on your board, especially at XMP speeds. At that point you will want to get a 16GB kit (2x 8GB DIMMs) of either 3200MHz or 3433MHz RAM.
Hi!

I have bought a pc with the following hardware:

B450M DS3H motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
G-SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000Mhz 16GB RAM

Now my problem is that I can't get more than 15 fps in games like Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order or Battlefield 1. I use the same settings that you can see in the video below, according to which I should be having about 30 fps.
Battlefield 1 benchmark video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuoBpY3afWA

I have updated all the drivers as well. I just can't figure out what the problem is.
I would really appreciate your help!

Thank you in advance!
While you have 16GB RAM, how many sticks is it? If you only have 1 stick of RAM that will cut the bandwidth in half and have a massive performance hit on the Ryzen iGPU. To find out how many sticks you have without opening the computer, start "Task Manager" in Windows, go to the "Performance" tab, then click on "Memory." On the right side you should see something saying: Speed - XXXX MHz, Slots Used - X of X, Form Factor - DIMM, and Hardware Reserved: XXX MB. Let us know what those say and it will help narrow down where the issue may be.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Sep 15, 2020
Well, I have only one 16GB stick of RAM. So adding another stick would double the performance?
Btw, I did a screenshot about the memory data, but I don't know how to paste it here.

Well, I have only one 16GB stick of RAM. So adding another stick would double the performance?
Btw, I did a screenshot about the memory data, but I don't know how to paste it here.
It won't double performance, but it will help a lot especially with graphics performance in games. The GPU depends on memory access considerably during gaming action.

You might also check memory configuration; what kind of memory and whether it's enabled in XMP mode in BIOS. If it's a low-end prebuilt they often skimp badly on memory, it may be only 2400 or even 2133 speed. It should say also tell you it's access speed in the Task Manager screen.

With one stick of RAM and doing anything with the GPU, your performance will be far lower. Even doing mainly CPU tasks will have performance being effected with only one stick, just not as bad as GPU tasks.

Sep 15, 2020
Thanks for the help. I enabled the XMP mode and the performance was significantly better, but now I have stability issues. I played Battlefield 1 for a half an hour and when returned to the menu, it crashed. Then I managed to boot the system, and it crashed again while being idle on the desktop.

Download this zip file https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.93-en.zip and extract everything and run the program. This will tell you what BIOS version you are on plus what RAM model you have. After recording what RAM model you have (probably will need the product ID) go here and open the Picasso Memory Support List. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-doc See if your RAM is supported on that list and if so what speeds it is supported at. If it isn't on that list, that means there is no guarantee it will work correctly on your board, especially at XMP speeds. At that point you will want to get a 16GB kit (2x 8GB DIMMs) of either 3200MHz or 3433MHz RAM.

Solution
Sep 15, 2020
Unfortunately my RAM model is not on the supported list. Now I have one more question. On the support list there is a column named "SS/DS". What does it mean? I will order a new kit of RAM, so I want to go for sure this time.

Unfortunately my RAM model is not on the supported list. Now I have one more question. On the support list there is a column named "SS/DS". What does it mean? I will order a new kit of RAM, so I want to go for sure this time.
SS/DS stands for Single Sided and Double Sided. Most new 8GB DIMMs will be Single Sided due to using higher capacity chips. DIMMs using lower capacity chips will be Double Sided for 8GB.

Sep 15, 2020
1660 Super would be better idea. You get the same performance as the Ti but they are about $50 cheaper when both are new.
I see. I would also like to get a new cooler. The standard cooler of the CPU performs perfectly, but it sounds like a jet taking off and it annoys me to no end. Could you please recommend a reliable cooler?

Reactions: Jason H.
I have an Aerocool V3X Advance case.
The biggest issue you have is that your case only allows for 150mm tall coolers. That really limits your options. Here are few choices.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($42.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9 Plus 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright AXP-100 Full Copper CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $172.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-21 16:14 EDT-0400

Sep 15, 2020
The biggest issue you have is that your case only allows for 150mm tall coolers. That really limits your options. Here are few choices.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($42.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9 Plus 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright AXP-100 Full Copper CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $172.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-21 16:14 EDT-0400
Thanks for the research you have done here.

Thanks for the research you have done here.

Get the ram before anything. Then the GPU. Then the cooler.

IMO, I know you cant right now because you dont want to dump a bunch of money into it, but I would consider at least, getting a new case before a cooler.

One that allows, at minimum, 155mm cooler height. It would expand your options A LOT. Also if you ever do plan, even in a couple years, to upgrade your cpu to anything past a r5 3600, your going to want a better cooler for that future upgrade. Only issue with that is you can only get a 150mm tall cooler which, imo, are not great, but will still be a bit better than your stock cooler.

If you did consider a case over a cooler right now, I would suggest the Cougar MX330 https://cougargaming.com/products/cases2/mx330/

its only about 50$ (same price as a cooler) allows for max 155mm cooler height. Has full front mesh version for optimal airflow. Comes in acrylic OR tempered glass variants (I got acrylic) Has removeable filters. A hidden PSU/cable/HDD bay.

Like....... Its a MAJOR contender compared to even some 80-100$ cases at its 50$ price point. It offers EVERYTHING you would want in a case.

Only cons I would say it has, is there isnt great routing for LED strips on the side or bottom, but the top for led is fine and hidden. And only allows for max 120mm fans (which is NOT a big deal because the airflow is GREAT). Also, the holes for the cables are kind of placed a little awkwardly. But it works and is FULLY functional.

Last edited:
Get the ram before anything. Then the GPU. Then the cooler.

IMO, I know you cant right now because you dont want to dump a bunch of money into it, but I would consider at least, getting a new case before a cooler.

One that allows, at minimum, 155mm cooler height. It would expand your options A LOT. Also if you ever do plan, even in a couple years, to upgrade your cpu to anything past a r5 3600, your going to want a better cooler for that future upgrade. Only issue with that is you can only get a 150mm tall cooler which, imo, are not great, but will still be a bit better than your stock cooler.

If you did consider a case over a cooler right now, I would suggest the Cougar MX330 https://cougargaming.com/products/cases2/mx330/

its only about 50$ (same price as a cooler) allows for max 155mm cooler height. Has full front mesh version for optimal airflow. Comes in acrylic OR tempered glass variants (I got acrylic) Has removeable filters. A hidden PSU/cable/HDD bay.

Like....... Its a MAJOR contender compared to even some 80-100$ cases at its 50$ price point. It offers EVERYTHING you would want in a case.

Only cons I would say it has, is there isnt great routing for LED strips on the side or bottom, but the top for led is fine and hidden. And only allows for max 120mm fans (which is NOT a big deal because the airflow is GREAT). Also, the holes for the cables are kind of placed a little awkwardly. But it works and is FULLY functional.
Totally agree with a case that allows for a taller cooler. I would also add the Fractal Design Focus G, or Mini G if you don't go beyond micro ATX motherboards, as a good budget case that runs about $55. Both allow for coolers up to 165mm in height. https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/focus/focus-g/black/

Sep 15, 2020
First of all, I've installed the 2x8 GB RAM mentioned above and the difference is amazing. I get the same result that we can see in the benchmark video. No stability issues yet.
Secondly, I guess I am going to get the GPU first. Maybe later I get a bigger case, so I can choose from a wider variety of coolers.
Furthermore, as Jeremy recommended, I've decided to get a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER. Just to go for 100% sure, is it a good choice? It is rather expensive (at least for me) and I really do not want to waste more money, like I did in the case of RAM.

First of all, I've installed the 2x8 GB RAM mentioned above and the difference is amazing. I get the same result that we can see in the benchmark video. No stability issues yet.
Secondly, I guess I am going to get the GPU first. Maybe later I get a bigger case, so I can choose from a wider variety of coolers.
Furthermore, as Jeremy recommended, I've decided to get a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER. Just to go for 100% sure, is it a good choice? It is rather expensive (at least for me) and I really do not want to waste more money, like I did in the case of RAM.
The 1660 Super and 1660 Ti have almost identical performance, about 1-2% difference. The advantage the 1660 Super has is that it retails for about $50 less than the 1660 Ti. Overall the 1660 Super is priced well for the performance and is one of the better 1080p 60-75Hz gaming cards you can get.

Sep 15, 2020
The 1660 Super and 1660 Ti have almost identical performance, about 1-2% difference. The advantage the 1660 Super has is that it retails for about $50 less than the 1660 Ti. Overall the 1660 Super is priced well for the performance and is one of the better 1080p 60-75Hz gaming cards you can get.
I see. I am going to purchase it within a few days, then I post an update. Thanks for all the help again. I wish I would have come here earlier.