Commendable
May 20, 2017
Hi folks!

I just bought a new system, which is the following:

• Gigabyte B450m Ds3h
  • Ryzen 5 3400g
  • 2x8 G. Skill Aegis 3000mhz
  • Corsair CX600

Is been ages since I last put together a PC (dual-core century), and I'm really confused about modern parts.

Everything is brand new, I unpacked the parts, assembled the PC with some YouTube tutorials (ok, not rocket science).

Fans spinning, mobo lights on but no video signal.

I didn't do any bios update, and I'm really on the dark here. If you guys can help me with some troubleshooting it will be more than appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!

Solution
Odds are pretty good that you're going to need a BIOS update. The B450 boards are older than the 3000 series Ryzen chips, so whatever BIOS is on those boards was probably put on them well before the 3400g launched. It is simply the nature of the beast with these long life sockets.

Thankfully there are some options here. You could bring it to a computer repair shop and see if they can flash the newest BIOS for you, or you could buy an older Ryzen or AM4 Athlon CPU like the Ryzen 3 1200 or Athlon 200GE and use it to flash the BIOS, or https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit - see about getting a boot kit from AMD, which is an Athlon 200GE that you return after you flash your BIOS.

Hope...
Odds are pretty good that you're going to need a BIOS update. The B450 boards are older than the 3000 series Ryzen chips, so whatever BIOS is on those boards was probably put on them well before the 3400g launched. It is simply the nature of the beast with these long life sockets.

Thankfully there are some options here. You could bring it to a computer repair shop and see if they can flash the newest BIOS for you, or you could buy an older Ryzen or AM4 Athlon CPU like the Ryzen 3 1200 or Athlon 200GE and use it to flash the BIOS, or https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit - see about getting a boot kit from AMD, which is an Athlon 200GE that you return after you flash your BIOS.

Hope something there helps.

Reactions: Larry C-137
Solution

Larry C-137

Commendable
May 20, 2017

Hope something there helps.
Yeah I really dig now what's happening. Thanks for your explanation, was very in depth. But what bugs me is that in the mobo box it says is Ryzen 3000 series ready, so it should be updated from the get go, right?

I noticed that the mobo wrapping plastic was opened, only secured by a piece of tape. I suspect someone swapped a non updated version for the 3000 series ready. Is this a common practice?

Anyways, I got back to the shop today and the guy asked me 20€ to update the bios. And I should bring the whole thing to him, which to me is a really inconvenience, as I rely on public transportation

I think I got scammed 😡

I don't think you got scammed. Rest assured that nothing here is even remotely out of the ordinary when dealing with this kind of issue.

The Ryzen APUs came out well after the first wave of Ryzen CPUs, so your board most likely got updated for those, but not for the 3400g. It had probably been sitting on the shelf for a while, got the early 3000 series update, then got shelved again with no further updates. Also, motherboards aren't generally shrink wrapped.

Reactions: Larry C-137

Larry C-137

Commendable
May 20, 2017
I don't think you got scammed. Rest assured that nothing here is even remotely out of the ordinary when dealing with this kind of issue.

The Ryzen APUs came out well after the first wave of Ryzen CPUs, so your board most likely got updated for those, but not for the 3400g. It had probably been sitting on the shelf for a while, got the early 3000 series update, then got shelved again with no further updates. Also, motherboards aren't generally shrink wrapped.

Sorry for the late reply! I took the whole thing to the shop and they did the BIOS update free of charge (as it was supposed to support from the get go, considering it was written in the box). Now is solved and I'm enjoying the machine working smoothly. Thanks again for the help! :)