Question Ryzen 5 3400g vs i5 9400f which is overall better?

EmperorKai

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
I looking to buy a new pc and both this CPUs comes under my budget and I also have a dedicated GPU RX 560, I will use this pc for mostly 3d modeling/rendering and a bit of gaming, which of this two would be better suited for the mentioned tasks? tnx

logainofhades

Titan
For gaming, the R5 3600 is the best all around CPU, of those listed. The 6 core i5's kinda run out of steam, once they encounter titles that can use more cores/threads, than they can provide, causing frametime issues/stuttering. The 3600 is a 6 core/12 thread CPU, making it better in multithreaded workloads/games. Userbenchmark and game debate are not really great tools to use, for comparison.

You could post more of those charts, and it wont change a thing. Good reviews from very known reviewers (like TomsHardware, Guru3D or youtube like Derbauer, GamerNexus, Hardware Unboxed, TeachDeals, Paul'sHardware, Jay2Cents, Biwit, TechYesCity) are way more relevant than 50 of those charts.

I will try to make it short, If you want the best budget cpu money can buy today a Ryzen 5 3600 is the winner, for work and for gaming. Is a beast with 6 cores / 12 threads and a very much impresive single core performance compared to the Ryzen 2xxx , Ryzen 1xxx and some Core i5. Now if you can't get to that price range a Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 7 2700 will make it too.

For newer games, you will want a cpu with atleast 12 threads. Why?, well because most modern games, if not all of them, can already use more than 8 threads (BFV, SOTR, Hitman 2, The Division 2, etc). Will some intel core i5 give you more FPS on some titles, well yeah, maybe for now, but what about next year? and what about the 1% low and .1 low? Will you like a big FPS number that drops all the time to really low figures or you preffer a more stable FPS counter that make you gameplay smoother.

Unless.... you can wait for the eventually to be released Core i5 1xxxx......... Intel's 10th gen cpus with 6 cores/12 threads.

Here are some reviews, one of the Ryzen 3600 launch: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel

And another one of the Ryzen 5 3600 vs Core i5 9400F: https://www.techspot.com/review/1885-ryzen-5-3600-vs-core-i5-9400f.
Or you can just watch the video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGNG9AZKtsg

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: EmperorKai

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yeap exactly like that, one thing I forgot to mention, Ryzen 3400G is not a 3xxx Zen 2 CPU.

AMD CPUs (with no integrated GPU)
Ryzen 1xxx --> Zen (14nm node)
Ryzen 2xxx ---> Zen+ (12nm node)
Ryzen 3xxx --> Zen 2 (7nm node)
Ryzen 4xxx --> Zen 3 (7nm+ node)

AMD APUs (with iGPU)
Ryzen 3 2200G/ R5 2400G --> Zen (14nm node)
Ryzen 3 3200G/R5 3400G --> Zen+ (12nm node)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Again thank u all for your replies, so based on your responses is it like this then Ryzen 5 3600 >> i5 9400f >> Ryzen 5 3400g?
AMD chip models that end in "G" come with integrated graphics (and are called APUs), and typically cost more than an equivalent CPU that comes without integrated graphics. Given that you already have a graphics card, there really isn't any reason to be looking at APUs.

And as said above, APUs are typically one generation of architecture behind compared to CPUs of the same series (e.g. 3000 series).