[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3500U CPU going below 1 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2020
When I am in-game, my Ryzen will sometimes go as low as 0.3 GHz and make the game unplayable for about 1 or 2 minutes and then go back to jumping around from 1.5 to 3+ GHz. Is there any way to stop it from going to such low clock speeds? I have tried Ryzen controller and setting the Processor usage to 100% both min and max but these methods don't seem to work. Is this related to the fact that it is a laptop CPU?

Solution
When I am in-game, my Ryzen will sometimes go as low as 0.3 GHz and make the game unplayable for about 1 or 2 minutes and then go back to jumping around from 1.5 to 3+ GHz. Is there any way to stop it from going to such low clock speeds? I have tried Ryzen controller and setting the Processor usage to 100% both min and max but these methods don't seem to work. Is this related to the fact that it is a laptop CPU?

It sounds like a heat issue...the cpu is throttling down to protect itself. I'd recommend you buy and use a power ventilated laptop stand and make sure the air intakes remain clear...don't set the laptop on soft items like a table cloth which will block airflow through the machine...
Jun 28, 2020
Update - Now playing VALORANT i achieved an OK fps - around 45 to 50 but i saw that my clock speed was averaging around 1.35 GHz with the temperatures not exceeding 70 °C
Edit: Also just noticed that the CPU clock speed is okay up until it reaches a certain temperature above 70°C and then it runs at the 1.35 clock speed staying on the 65-70 °C side.

Last edited:

Furzumz

Reputable
What are your max temperatures?

Processors will throttle their speed in attempts to avoid overheating.

Also, when was the last time you blew the dust out of your laptop with a can of compressed air? I've known some people who have never done it causing them to fry their laptops

It sounds like a heat issue...the cpu is throttling down to protect itself. I'd recommend you buy and use a power ventilated laptop stand and make sure the air intakes remain clear...don't set the laptop on soft items like a table cloth which will block airflow through the machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Cooli...+fans&qid=1593471909&s=office-products&sr=1-4

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.