Question Ryzen 5 3500U overheating to 95 °C.

Apr 18, 2021
I have bought a ASUS Vivobook X512DK-BQ034. It has a Ryzen 5 3500U CPU and a RX 540X mobile GPU. I suffering from FPS drops while gaming. When i start a game like Borderlands 2 for example, the temperature of the CPU goes up to 95 °C and the GPU to 90 °C. When the CPU reaches that it downclocks itself to 0,4 GHZ until it cool downs to around 70 °C. And its repeating itself over and over. 80% of the cases restarting the laptop solves the problem, but after a while this problem comes back. On the other hand its not happening every time. Its like 1/3 of the cases with other games too like League of Legends or GTA 5. Sometimes the temperature is on fix 80 °C while playing these games. When this problem is not appearing in the first 2-3 minutes, I can play hours at fix 75-82 °C. It sometimes occurs when i close a game after playing like 2 hours with no problem and start another game, in the 2nd game the problem appears.

My opinion is the fans are not ramp up properly every time when i start playing a game. My laptop can handle those game on optimal (80°C) but sometimes I'm suffering from this problem.
I tried some solutions. I updated bios to the newest version from MYASUS. Updated to the newest Radeon software. Using to the newest windows updates. I bought a Spirit of Gamer Blade 500 notebook cooler but it changed nothing.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021
First of all, thank you for your responses. I'm running the games with plug in. Can I lose my warranty for using any of these? If i remember correctly AMD's ryzen controller warned me i can lose my warranty for overclocking cause it can ruin the hardware (if I do it incorrectly). I'm not sure it is only for overclocking or making any change in the cooling or power consuption? I still have 1 year warranty and the last case will be to take it to a ASUS service for a check.