Question Ryzen 5 3500U vs Core i5 8250U

Status
Not open for further replies.

erik62905

Honorable
Jan 17, 2018
So I am looking for a laptop for school and found multiple with a Ryzen 5 3500U, which I didn't know existed. I really just want to know if the 3500U is faster than the i5 8250U. I also want to know any major differences like TDP.

I'm looking at this laptop: https://www.microcenter.com/product/603800/ideapad-flex-14-14-2-in-1-laptop-computer---black

Is the laptop I linked reliable and/or are IdeaPads reliable as a product line? Major flaws/common issues? Thanks.

Hey OP
I also shop DTC Micro Center.
Just in case you didn't know mc will price match all online competition for exact same models that micro has in stock.
So that could give you more options in price but you gotta do some homework and be ready to jump on what you like.

Also when lookiing i look for ssd, hdd, and memory upgrade paths.
If in descriptions it says emmc ssd/mem is not very easy if at all to upgrade yourself.

Reactions: erik62905

erik62905

Honorable
Jan 17, 2018
Also when lookiing i look for ssd, hdd, and memory upgrade paths.
If in descriptions it says emmc ssd/mem is not very easy if at all to upgrade yourself.
The PC I linked states it has an M.2 NVME SSD in the description. I don't really know If I'd need an upgrade anyways.

Also, if I were to upgrade storage, does windows stay activated? I've never had to upgrade storage drives before.

I've used the samsung data migration ( it clones the os ) on samsung 2.5 in sata on my desktop.
And all is good.
On my asus fx504gm-es74 gaming laptop it's going to be a bit of a process and an adapter as the nvme is the os and only 1 m.2 slot.

As long as you can keep to os and small programs down in size so you don't fill that drive up cool.
Ssd' need free space.
So specs show 2 usb 3.1 you could get a 1tb external portable hdd for 48-60 bucks for storage needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.