[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2 ghz idle temps?

gutsygoat

Reputable
May 30, 2017
Hello, I was helping a friend today, he has a r5 3600 @ 4.2 ghz and is getting very high idle temps (50-60 degrees) with a freezer 34 (single fan) and 3 case fans. (I turned all the fans up to max, haven't seen the temps yet.) PC also boots irregularly (this could have been because we didn't wait long enough before trying again after turning it off), but we did manage to game on it for an hour or so. Anyone have any clue what the problem could be?

Solution
Hello, I was helping a friend today, he has a r5 3600 @ 4.2 ghz and is getting very high idle temps (50-60 degrees) with a freezer 34 (single fan) and 3 case fans. (I turned all the fans up to max, haven't seen the temps yet.) PC also boots irregularly (this could have been because we didn't wait long enough before trying again after turning it off), but we did manage to game on it for an hour or so. Anyone have any clue what the problem could be?
At true idle state (about 1.2% of CPU usage) temps of 10c higher than ambient temperature is expected, above that is time to look at other causes, from improper mounting, thru wrongly applying paste or too high voltage.
So there are few things more to look at,
Percentage of CPU used at...
At true idle state (about 1.2% of CPU usage) temps of 10c higher than ambient temperature is expected, above that is time to look at other causes, from improper mounting, thru wrongly applying paste or too high voltage.
So there are few things more to look at,
Percentage of CPU used at your idle
Frequency it runs at idle (use Ryzen Master)
Voltage at same time.
If all stay high, set Power saving plan > minimum CPU usage and set to 5%.

Solution