vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
Hi Guys,

So I am building a new gaming PC with the upcoming Ampere GPU's (likely getting a 3080 - depending on price) however, since they are more than likely going to use PCIe 4.0 I would prefer to use a platform that can take advantage of it (maybe not right away but possibly in the future). So not Intel 10th Gen - however if it is announced that Ampere doesn't need PCIe 4.0 then I will probably go Intel since this is a system solely for gaming.

However, assuming that Ampere does use PCIe 4.0 and since, it is rumoured that Ryzen 4000 series isn't coming out til December (which is too long to wait for me to build) I was wondering if you guys thought that a Ryzen 5 3600 or maybe even a 3300x would be a good placeholder until the new Ryzen's are released.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi Guys,

So I am building a new gaming PC with the upcoming Ampere GPU's (likely getting a 3080 - depending on price) however, since they are more than likely going to use PCIe 4.0 I would prefer to use a platform that can take advantage of it (maybe not right away but possibly in the future). So not Intel 10th Gen - however if it is announced that Ampere doesn't need PCIe 4.0 then I will probably go Intel since this is a system solely for gaming.

However, assuming that Ampere does use PCIe 4.0 and since, it is rumoured that Ryzen 4000 series isn't coming out til December (which is too long to wait for me to build) I was wondering if you guys thought that a Ryzen 5 3600 or maybe even a 3300x would be a good placeholder until the new Ryzen's are released.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi @vainsy

If you are just using it as a place holder, then why not a R3 3100? Decent gaming at a very low price.

The 3080 is gonna be (heavenly music plays) and I'm an AMD fella! It'll be PCIe 4 but also backwards compatible meaning it'll easily slip into a PCIe 3.0 slot and do some serious stomping. It'll be a bit before games fully utilize the 4.0 capabilities.

You could of course buy a 3600 & once the 4K series are released keep it as a backup CPU, sell it or install it in a family members/BF/GF/Friends PC

If you plan on immediately upgrading to a 4K series once released, and you have a budget, personally, I'd not drop $$ on a 3600 just to hold me over a measly 4 months. That's just me though & since I'm poor, I might have a jaded opinion lol.. :)

Let us know what you plan on doing!

vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
Hi @vainsy

If you are just using it as a place holder, then why not a R3 3100? Decent gaming at a very low price.

The 3080 is gonna be (heavenly music plays) and I'm an AMD fella! It'll be PCIe 4 but also backwards compatible meaning it'll easily slip into a PCIe 3.0 slot and do some serious stomping. It'll be a bit before games fully utilize the 4.0 capabilities.

You could of course buy a 3600 & once the 4K series are released keep it as a backup CPU, sell it or install it in a family members/BF/GF/Friends PC

If you plan on immediately upgrading to a 4K series once released, and you have a budget, personally, I'd not drop $$ on a 3600 just to hold me over a measly 4 months. That's just me though & since I'm poor, I might have a jaded opinion lol.. :)

Let us know what you plan on doing!

Thanks for your input ! Appreciate it.

I wanted to go with a 3100 since like you said it won't be used for long, however, I thought that would be too much of a bottleneck considering a 3080.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Thanks for your input ! Appreciate it.

I wanted to go with a 3100 since like you said it won't be used for long, however, I thought that would be too much of a bottleneck considering a 3080.

For a short period of time, yes, the 3080 will gobble up every bit of data the 3100 can throw at it and ask for 2nds but it was my understanding you were going to go with a 4K once released and since the 3080 & 4K will be released within a short period of time from one another (If both are released on schedule) you'll not have to suffer long. :)

Nothing wrong with buying a 3600 now if funds aren't an issue. It's just that the 3100 is $104 + tax & the 3600 is $179 + tax. A savings of roughly $75

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
instead of buying 2 CPUs, why not get a 10600k/10700k and overclock it? An overclocked 10700k will last you quite a lot of years. (I suggested intel as overclocked intel are the best option when you're pairing them with 2080/3080 and intel overclocking is pretty easy and makes a huge difference).
And about PCIe, 3.0 will not be a bottlenecking factor for quite some time.

Last edited:

vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
For a short period of time, yes, the 3080 will gobble up every bit of data the 3100 can throw at it and ask for 2nds but it was my understanding you were going to go with a 4K once released and since the 3080 & 4K will be released within a short period of time from one another (If both are released on schedule) you'll not have to suffer long. :)

Nothing wrong with buying a 3600 now if funds aren't an issue. It's just that the 3100 is $104 + tax & the 3600 is $179 + tax. A savings of roughly $75

Yeah probably worth going for 3100 then.

I might just wait and see what happens with benchmarks and see if PCIe 3 vs 4 actually makes a difference. If it doesn't I might go Intel considering this is just a gaming PC.

vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
instead of buying 2 CPUs, why not get a 10600k/10700k and overclock it? An overclocked 10700k will last you quite a lot of years. (I suggested intel as overclocked intel are the best option when you're pairing them with 2080/3080 and intel overclocking is pretty easy and makes a huge difference).
And about PCIe, 3.0 will not be a bottlenecking factor for a long time.

Yeah I guess no one really knows exactly how the Ampere launch is going to turn out and what it might mean. I think I am going to just wait and see before I make any major buying decisions. That seems to be the safest course of action.

But thanks a tonne for your input, really appreciate it!

The 3300X surprisingly offers about 95% of the gaming performance offered by the 3600....(whereas the 3900X offers little benefit over the 3700X or 3800X)
Except you can't actually find the 3300X anywhere currently, at least at online retailers in the US. And of course, for anyone concerned about long-term performance, the 3600 having 50% more cores and threads will undoubtedly keep it relevant longer down the line, particularly as games start targeting next-gen console hardware.

In any case, unless you need the hardware right away, it's probably worth waiting to see how PCIe 4.0 affects the performance of those cards. I suspect that the performance impact will probably be quite minimal on even the top-end model, though it's possible they could be doing something different with the cards that will benefit from the additional bandwidth.

And of course, there's only speculation about how Ryzen 4000 CPUs will perform in games at this point. Almost certainly better than the 3000 series, but exactly how much is difficult to say.

It could also be worth considering using an Ampere card with your existing system for some time, but that might not be a good option if its really outdated.