Sinxph

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
I ordered my Ryzen 5 3600 cpu and my X470 Crosshair VII Hero (Non wifi) along with a flash drive knowing I would need it. I have my ram, cpu, monitor, and I’m buying my power supply and hard drive next.
In order for the motherboard to be able to support the processor, I will need to flash the bios first before doing anything right? I’ve already downloaded the bios update onto the flash drive (making sure everything is right before I go ahead with it). All I need to do is connect my hard drive and power supply but not the cpu yet then install the cpu after it’s done flashing (isn’t running anything so i’m going to need to install Windows 10 on it after I flash it (right?) I’m just making sure I’m doing everything right.

Sinxph

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
I don't think that Motherboard has the ability to flash the BIOS without a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 series CPU installed.
So if it doesn't already have a Ryzen 3000 compatible BIOS you will need to contact AMD for a loaner CPU:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100
All I know is that there’s a way to flash the motherboard with a certain button on the back while you plug in the usb

Sinxph

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
All I know is that there’s a way to flash the motherboard with a certain button on the back while you plug in the usb
I don't think that Motherboard has the ability to flash the BIOS without a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 series CPU installed.
So if it doesn't already have a Ryzen 3000 compatible BIOS you will need to contact AMD for a loaner CPU:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100
Thank you for helping me out on an easier way I’ll contact them after the cpu arrives in the mail

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
You can flash the bios without a cpu. You need to rename it though. When you downloaded the bios there is a tool in the zipped folder that does this automatically. Run that and then put the renamed file on a flash drive. Insert the flash drive in the USB port labeled bios flashback and hit the button. Let it do its thing and then install the CPU. There is detailed instructions for all of this in the manual.

Reactions: Sinxph and DMAN999
I did the bios flashback on my board. You need to rename to bios file to whatever ASUS requires. I have MSI so I couldn't tell you but as DMAN999 says it's in the manual. You won't be able to boot until you install the updated bios. Just put the renamed file at the root of your usb drive, turn your pc on, put the usb flash drive in the usb port labeled for bios flashback, and the push the flashback button. You just need to watch the light on your usb stick or look at the light on the motherboard. Watch for it to stop flashing. Once it has stopped power off. Now you need to clear your cmos by removing your battery. Then it should boot right up.

Reactions: Sinxph and DMAN999

Sinxph

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
I did the bios flashback on my board. You need to rename to bios file to whatever ASUS requires. I have MSI so I couldn't tell you but as DMAN999 says it's in the manual. You won't be able to boot until you install the updated bios. Just put the renamed file at the root of your usb drive, turn your pc on, put the usb flash drive in the usb port labeled for bios flashback, and the push the flashback button. You just need to watch the light on your usb stick or look at the light on the motherboard. Watch for it to stop flashing. Once it has stopped power off. Now you need to clear your cmos by removing your battery. Then it should boot right up.
Could I use the clear cmos button my motherboard has?

Sinxph

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
Thanks for everyone who gave me advice! This has helped me and I’m sure it will help anyone which needs help that has questions involving their motherboards and ryzen 3000 cpu’s