[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 Boost issue.

May 20, 2021
So i build my PC a year and half ago and my CPU doesn't seem to be boosting to 4.2 on max load. max is 4099mhz.

Specs :
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450m Gaming Plus
Ram x2 8Gb 3200mhz
GTX 1660 Ti
SSD 240GB , HDD 1TB
Corsair 650w PSU Gold

Idle temps between 38c-45c, on max load it goes up to 79c. Current Aio is Corsair aio h60. Previous cpu cooler was something like 4 heat pipes not sure the CPU Cooler name. it's almost same Temps. but aio looks much better.

Pics i've taken. is there anything suspicious on ryzen master? I took 1 idle and 1 on max load.
Idle Ryzen Master : https://prnt.sc/1c85a79
Max Load Temps : https://prnt.sc/1c85e75
Max Load Cores : https://prnt.sc/1c85h3z
Max Load Ryzen Master : https://prnt.sc/1c85lwn

is there anyway to fix this issue without updating BIOS?

Last edited:
Solution
Your processor is only guaranteed to boost one or two cores to 4.2.
Try a single threaded benchmark and see what it will boost to.
All core boost on my 3600 was 4.0 or 4.1 depending on benchmark.

I would probably start at 1.3v for 4.2 boost and work down from there.
My 3600 will do 4.4 all core boost at 1.28v.
But every piece of silicone is different so you may not get that high on GHZ or that low on voltage.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that sure is idle, I don't see Peak speed that low on my 3600XT, its normally around 700mhz

what power plan are you running in windows?
right click start
choose power options
under related settings, click additional power settings

your temps are same as I get with a 240mm aio at idle, i don't put it under load often.

May 20, 2021
that sure is idle, I don't see Peak speed that low on my 3600XT, its normally around 700mhz

what power plan are you running in windows?
right click start
choose power options
under related settings, click additional power settings

your temps are same as I get with a 240mm aio at idle, i don't put it under load often.
Running "Ryzen Balanced Plan" power plan. Tried High Performance Plan before. No difference.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It's actually normal. AMD clarified and 4.2 is the theoretical max, it doesn't means it will go that high. My 3700x the max it goes too is 4.375 GHZ. It can actually get to max frequency but on small task only so you probably never will see max freq on stress test.
link

I rarely see max on my 3600XT, running cinebench only gets all cores to 4.197, i normally see higher at boot.

got newest chipset drivers? https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

I thought I had swapped back to balanced myself but I seem to still be on AMD Ryzen Balanced Power plan

seems My effective clock is often down near 192 mhz so perhaps its just AMD Ryzen master and HWINFO conflicting when I see my CPU usage at 700. I generally only use HWINFO for sensors

Last edited:
May 20, 2021
link

I rarely see max on my 3600XT, running cinebench only gets all cores to 4.197, i normally see higher at boot.

got newest chipset drivers? https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

I thought I had swapped back to balanced myself but I seem to still be on AMD Ryzen Balanced Power plan

seems My effective clock is often down near 192 mhz so perhaps its just AMD Ryzen master and HWINFO conflicting when I see my CPU usage at 700. I generally only use HWINFO for sensors
Yes i do have the newest chipset drivers. I was thinking setting my cores to 4.2 on ryzen master and setting voltage to 1.17 or 1.2. Thoughts?

But every piece of silicone is different so you may not get that high on GHZ or that low on voltage.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution
May 20, 2021

I don't have any core boosting to 4.1 , Max is 4099 or 4074.

Clock generators are made of quartz crystal. Being .00001 percent off is within range. Very few motherboards are exactly perfect in this respect.

Older software rounded slightly up or down and reported even advertised speeds.
Today's software reports every single change if you lower the polling rate low enough. Then you see the numbers and voltages jumping around everywhere.

If you wish to overclock turn off PBO it uses way too much voltage and you will not be able to control voltage , it will override bios settings and over-volt.

Jul 13, 2021
Looks almost the same as my system right down to the RAM kit. I have a B550 though.

I run my system with PBO enabled (so power caps are raised and set to MB limits).

Running Cinebench or Prime95 to generate a Multithreaded load I've recorded the sensor data averaging as follows.

Stock Wraith cooler 3915MHz @92C
Tower cooler 3975MHz @80C
Tower cooler 4025MHz @72C (running a -0.050V voltage offset for the CPU)

I lowered the voltage more but the actual performance seemed to drop. I have seen single thread boosts get to 4200 for me but its rare. 4150-4175 seem a lot more common. Once you increase the power draw cap, the biggest factor for the built in boost management seems to be temperature.

May 20, 2021
Clock generators are made of quartz crystal. Being .00001 percent off is within range. Very few motherboards are exactly perfect in this respect.

Older software rounded slightly up or down and reported even advertised speeds.
Today's software reports every single change if you lower the polling rate low enough. Then you see the numbers and voltages jumping around everywhere.

If you wish to overclock turn off PBO it uses way too much voltage and you will not be able to control voltage , it will override bios settings and over-volt.
Alright thank you.

The reason I asked is because on your pics underload your cpu fan speed was only at 1528rpm.

From looking at the corsair h60's I saw like 3 different models.
Hydro, Hydro High Performance and Icue h60i pro xt with each 1 having a different fan rpm limit of 1700, 2000, and 2400 in order as above.

Definitely Agree on every peice of hardware being different as to what it does.

My son's 3600 on a Msi b450 pro carbon ac
During Minecraft regularly boosts itself on 2 coes up to 4.275g while the others are running @4.225 but his system has a H110i
With a pair of Noctua's Ippc 3000rpm fans.

I thought I had raised his ppt, tdc, edc limits
But had him look at RM yesterday and he told me they are set to what yours is in the pic of Rmaster.

It still maybe worth a shot to see if raising those limits helps or not.

Sorry about that you did say you did.

So have you tried raising the board limits?
Also in the bios pbo ( I think) section there is several mhz increases to allow it to boost over, they range from .25 to 200mhz.
I think I have my son's at 175mhz and I'm not back home till Thursday to confirm.

May 20, 2021
Sorry about that you did say you did.

So have you tried raising the board limits?
Also in the bios pbo ( I think) section there is several mhz increases to allow it to boost over, they range from .25 to 200mhz.
I think I have my son's at 175mhz and I'm not back home till Thursday to confirm.
I don't wanna mess with Bios settings and <Mod Edit>. I'm not experienced with that. I'll OC my CPU to 4.2 when i get addicted to a game ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want after thurs when I get back home and it's convenient for you I can post some pics of my son's Pbo settings from the bios screens and work you through what I did on his.
And if it doesnt help then we can just set it back and you can decide what you want to do next

It's not a oc but it's doing a great job so much I'm not going to Oc his.

If you are planning on ocing, I and many others here will say don't do it with any software and people will also say just use the Pbo because you don't lose single core performance that you do from doing a formal oc.

With the new Ryzen cpu's Old School overclocking days are long gone.
Gotta catch some ZZZZZZ.

May 20, 2021
If you want after thurs when I get back home and it's convenient for you I can post some pics of my son's Pbo settings from the bios screens and work you through what I did on his.
And if it doesnt help then we can just set it back and you can decide what you want to do next

It's not a oc but it's doing a great job so much I'm not going to Oc his.

If you are planning on ocing, I and many others here will say don't do it with any software and people will also say just use the Pbo because you don't lose single core performance that you do from doing a formal oc.

With the new Ryzen cpu's Old School overclocking days are long gone.
Gotta catch some ZZZZZZ.
I'm good for now. I'm not playing any games. if i decide i wanna do something to improve pc performance i'll msg you or look for some guides on youtube :)

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2