Question Ryzen 5 3600... Boost problem

gambin0

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2012
Hello, i just made the jump over to AMD and got this amazing little CPU, its a massive improvement over my intel 2600k. My g sync compatible monitor has come to life.

Thing is i brought some hyper x memory 3200mhz, long story short. It wont register the full speed, even if i do the xmp profile (the AMD equivalent) that brings up the ram to the advertised speed of 3200mhz but then the 3600 wont boost and stays stuck at 3600mhz. without shifting. If i manually knock it up to 42 multiplier this system wont boot. Theres a white light on the mobo (asus rog strix b450 f gaming) meaning a cpu problem

The timings on the ram are c16 18 18 36 on this bio.

Do i have to do some fiddling to get this already amazing pc up and running properly

Specs
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4200mhz
16 hyper x RGB @ 2400mhz
Asus Rog Strix B450 f gaming
Windows 10 pro 64bit

Latest bios

Thanks for any help guys and girls in advance

gambin0

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2012
Yes a fresh install of windows 10... Temps aint bad as of now @55 idle, its very warm here in london, also using the crappy wraith cooler as im just waiting for noctua to send me a AM4 kit, under gaming it gets to 71 degrees again not alarming. I have the ram running at 2400mhz so the boost run on the cpu. Cleared cmos

Right now the BIOSes are still in a bit of a broken state, especially on older boards like B450.
If you don't want to do any manual tweaking then update your bios as soon as new ones come available.

I do recommend tweaking the settings manually though, as at least for me the stock settings gave way too much voltage and overall were less than optimal.
There were also pretty big gains from overclocking despite many reviewers saying otherwise.

Last edited:

gambin0

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2012
Yes thanks mate, I was thinking the same thing, wait for improved bios.

I did noticed voltages are a bit high, although the only overclocking I have done is the easier way ie staying away from voltages. But looks like I'm going to have to get some knowledge with this.

Thanks again man

Put the CPU back to its stock setting until you get your RAM issue figured out.

Now bump the CPU voltage a small fraction and re-enable the XMP profile and see if it will boot. At this point you do not want to overclock the CPU until you know the RAM is running at its advertised speed. If this fails you have two options, wait for a UEFI/BIOS update or exchange the RAM for a different model.

Best of Luck

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Yes thanks mate, I was thinking the same thing, wait for improved bios.

I did noticed voltages are a bit high, although the only overclocking I have done is the easier way ie staying away from voltages. But looks like I'm going to have to get some knowledge with this.

Thanks again man

There's a lot of rumors floating around about 3rd gens capabilities.
Many people seem to think 1.325v is the "maximum safe voltage"
I'd say i'm a pretty experienced overclocker and i think the whole "safe voltage" thing is complete horses**t.
Your "safe voltage" will always vary based on your cooling, silicon quality, motherboard, use and overclock speed.

My 3700x pushes 1.45v worth of voltage for it's max single core boost speed with completely stock settings no pbo enabled. With pbo on it would even go as high as 1.5v on idle and 1.47v under load.

Based on this i guesstimated that the maximum sustainable voltage for an allcore oc on my chip is slightly below 1.45v, which i used to get a 4.4GHz stable allcore OC at 1.43v.

The quality difference between 3rd gen chips seems to be pretty massive with some chips achieving 4.5GHz with fairly low effort, and some not even booting to 4.3GHz no matter the voltage.

I suggest you start with 1.4v and 4.1GHz on all cores, if it's stable then lower the voltage until it crashes and then set it to the last stable voltage. If you can get it to run under 1.3v then raise the speed to 4.2GHz with 1.4v and repeat. Make sure your temps stay under 85c and if they go above it then drop either voltage or clock speed.

There's a lot of rumors floating around about 3rd gens capabilities.
Many people seem to think 1.325v is the "maximum safe voltage"
I'd say i'm a pretty experienced overclocker and i think the whole "safe voltage" thing is complete horses**t.
Your "safe voltage" will always vary based on your cooling, silicon quality, motherboard, use and overclock speed.

My 3700x pushes 1.45v worth of voltage for it's max single core boost speed with completely stock settings no pbo enabled. With pbo on it would even go as high as 1.5v on idle and 1.47v under load.

Based on this i guesstimated that the maximum sustainable voltage for an allcore oc on my chip is slightly below 1.45v, which i used to get a 4.4GHz stable allcore OC at 1.43v.

The quality difference between 3rd gen chips seems to be pretty massive with some chips achieving 4.5GHz with fairly low effort, and some not even booting to 4.3GHz no matter the voltage.

I suggest you start with 1.4v and 4.1GHz on all cores, if it's stable then lower the voltage until it crashes and then set it to the last stable voltage. If you can get it to run under 1.3v then raise the speed to 4.2GHz with 1.4v and repeat. Make sure your temps stay under 85c and if they go above it then drop either voltage or clock speed.
I agree somewhat that cooler matters more than voltage, but remember lower is always better with voltage.
I have a good enough motherboard and cooler to get a solid 200mhz more out of my 1200, but the increase in voltage and heat output isnt worth it to me.

I agree somewhat that cooler matters more than voltage, but remember lower is always better with voltage.
I have a good enough motherboard and cooler to get a solid 200mhz more out of my 1200, but the increase in voltage and heat output isnt worth it to me.

That's true from the efficiency point of view.
I however usually try to push everything i can out of my hardware.
My approach to overclocking isn't really about "getting a speed boost without losing efficiency",
But rather "how far can i push it without breaking it".

So far none of my cpus have died.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX