[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 bottle-necking inquiry

Jordan_stewart

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019
Hi all,

Pretty new to the PC-building world, and I've recently upgraded our old family desktop with some newer pieces as listed below (apologies in advance if I don't explain anything properly):
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max WiFi
  • 16gb ram (corsair vengeance pro)

While looking how to optimise some of the BIOS settings for my Ryzen, I found a lot of pages saying that it bottlenecks the GTX 1060 graphics card I have, and there's a lot of conflicting pages I've read through for this so I just thought I'd try get some clarity.

I really can't grasp what the bottlenecking actually does and how it'll affect me - is it something that will be really noticeable? Primarily I use the PC for gaming on 1080p monitors - im currently not playing the most demanding AAA games in the world, but just want to know if this will be a problem down the track.

Thanks for any responses!

Solution
"bottleneck" is one of the most misused and misunderstood terms today.
It is NOT what you think.

Basically, it is when one 'weak' part does not let another part reach its full capability. And there has to be a pretty large disparity to really see a 'problem'.

Also....the CPU provides the framerate, the GPU provides the eyecandy.
If a weak CPU can't provide frames to the GPU fast enough...the GPU is just left loafing along.
Conversely, with a strong CPU and weak GPU, the CPU can provide more frames per second than the GPU can reliably provide the eyecandy for.

Your two parts, the Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1060 will go pretty well together. No problems at all.

USAFRet

Titan

Basically, it is when one 'weak' part does not let another part reach its full capability. And there has to be a pretty large disparity to really see a 'problem'.

If a weak CPU can't provide frames to the GPU fast enough...the GPU is just left loafing along.
Conversely, with a strong CPU and weak GPU, the CPU can provide more frames per second than the GPU can reliably provide the eyecandy for.

Your two parts, the Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1060 will go pretty well together. No problems at all.

Solution
GIVE ZERO CONCERN TO BOTTLENECKING

What that refers to.. put simply is that (in this case your GTX1060 bottlnecking the CPU in some cases) Either the CPU or Graphics card will hold back your PC from being able to perform to the fullest, without having any wasted processing power. A lot of this is gathered through hardware monitors such as CPUID or HWinfo64 (some more known ones).

When someone says that you have a bottlneck it would mean that for example, your CPU is at 100% load, but your GPU is at 50% load. This would mean that your CPU is overloaded (bottlenecking) while your GPU is having a walk in the park because it doesn't have too much to process since the CPU can't put out enough data for the GPU to work harder and put out more on the screen. THIS is what everyone calls BOTTLENECK. But, the reason that you shouldn't worry about is it because both of the components are fairly good and recent enough to be able to perform well (that's #1) and #2.... well, there are many different types of games, some really load up your CPU, while others load up the GPU. You can go from one game having CPU at 50% and GPU at 100%, to another with having exact opposite, would you call that a bottleneck? you would need a 5000$ system to have something that has almost no bottleneck.

just about the simplest way to put it really, don't worry, both of those work well together and the GPU is still good for today's titles, 1080p is also less demanding.

Jordan_stewart

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019

Really appreciate the timely response! Yeah I was really hoping this was the case; I can stress less now! Thanks so much

Jordan_stewart

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019
GIVE ZERO CONCERN TO BOTTLENECKING

What that refers to.. put simply is that (in this case your GTX1060 bottlnecking the CPU in some cases) Either the CPU or Graphics card will hold back your PC from being able to perform to the fullest, without having any wasted processing power. A lot of this is gathered through hardware monitors such as CPUID or HWinfo64 (some more known ones).

When someone says that you have a bottlneck it would mean that for example, your CPU is at 100% load, but your GPU is at 50% load. This would mean that your CPU is overloaded (bottlenecking) while your GPU is having a walk in the park because it doesn't have too much to process since the CPU can't put out enough data for the GPU to work harder and put out more on the screen. THIS is what everyone calls BOTTLENECK. But, the reason that you shouldn't worry about is it because both of the components are fairly good and recent enough to be able to perform well (that's #1) and #2.... well, there are many different types of games, some really load up your CPU, while others load up the GPU. You can go from one game having CPU at 50% and GPU at 100%, to another with having exact opposite, would you call that a bottleneck? you would need a 5000$ system to have something that has almost no bottleneck.

just about the simplest way to put it really, don't worry, both of those work well together and the GPU is still good for today's titles, 1080p is also less demanding.
Really appreciate the timely feedback! Just for clarity, in my circumstance, would it be the GPU, or CPU that is getting bottlenecked?

You would face more of your CPU being "bottlenecked" by the GPU, but it's really insignificant, don't stress over it. To put it this way, most systems see at least 1 GPU replacement. You're already starting 1 gen behind the current one, so that would mean that you'll be replacing your GPU sooner than later. I'm just trying to clarify that with a decent CPU, a GPU will be generally the first one to cause performance issues, so don't worry when time comes to change it, it's normal.