[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 bottleneck?

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
Hi to all people around there.

Yesterday when i was back from work i started to play DOOM (2016) at 1080p Max settings and i have fps spikes from 200 to 20s or so. Stutter strats to hit around 3 mins of playing. According to my hardware i am starting to think i have a CPU bottleneck due to the fps avg. I monitorized the GPU and CPU and the CPU goes up to 40ms when the stutter while the GPU stays always on 7ms or so. Is very frustating when this stutter appears. The stutters freeze the game for 2s, and go back to 150fps, and come back again. I have some freezes sometimes playing League of Legends, CSGO and other games. But other ones like MAD MAX, runs perfectly at 140fps capped. Discord seems to have some hard freezes sometimes too and i don't know at this point if is software related or hardware, cause i reinstall everything including Windows several times. I own this rig for a time so really don't know how to try to resolve those issues.

My system specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 stocks settings, no pbo.
Cooler: Corsair Hydro 100x
Ram: 16Gb 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: MSI Gtx 1080ti Trio
Mobo: Asus ROG B450-E
PSU: EVGA BQ850
SSD1: Samsung 970 (boot)
SSD2: Intel 660p 2Tb
HDD: WD Purple 2Tb

Last edited:

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Try uninstalling Doom, try to delete this folder after, if it still exists, then re-install.
"C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\id Software".

There's quite a few hits on a google search with similar problems in Doom specifically, even things like RGB drivers for gaming mice can apparetly cause intermittant fps drops. I would check a general google search first, try all the recommendations that others with this same issue have encountered, then report back your findings in a new post.

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
Try uninstalling Doom, try to delete this folder after, if it still exists, then re-install.
"C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\id Software".

There's quite a few hits on a google search with similar problems in Doom specifically, even things like RGB drivers for gaming mice can apparetly cause intermittant fps drops. I would check a general google search first, try all the recommendations that others with this same issue have encountered, then report back your findings in a new post.
I will try that too, thanks

Might want to install and run both HWMonitor and CPU-Z/CPU Stress Test, and see what clock speeds are being hit, and, what happens to temps after a sustained amount of time (i.e., post 3-4 minutes)...(Check assorted power plans to make sure nothing is in Economy, and that no TDP limits are imposed that might be causing any sort of throttling after x-amount of time. (Not sure if Balanced Power plan functions the same way with Ryzen vs. Intel CPUs, so, try Performance mode in WIndows power plan settings to make sure there are no issues there)

Were Win10 and assorted games freshly installed with this build, or was there an upgrade and reboot process attempted?

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
I've done some tests and tried to reinstall the game on another disk and clean "C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\id Software" as @joeblowsmynose said. The game run better but starts to happen again 30 min after i was playing. I reinstall NVIDIA drivers aswell and nothing changed. I stress test the CPU and the GPU with Furmark and Aida64. I have good temps in both and the frecuency stay stable at 4.0Ghz and 1930Mhz on the gpu core. I reinstall Windows on my intel 660p in 500gb partition, and the game was running for an hour fine, maintaining 150fps avg as it should be. @extreme_noob Was right in this case and the Samsung 970 was faulty. I'll rma the M.2 ssd and i use the 500gb partition for the time this will come back.

Thank to you all for the tips.