Question Ryzen 5 3600 cooler suggestions - very high idle temps

asf1992

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Hi Guys,

So I built a new machine(Specs below) and I am facing heating issues with it. The ambient temperature of the room is around 37-40 degrees. The idle CPU Temp keeps fluctuating between 47-67 degrees(some cores boosting to 4.2GHz). When I run AIDA 64 stress test it hits 100 and then throttles to 3.8GHz. The case has 3x 120mm fans(2 front intake and 1 rear exhaust).
BIOS is on default settings​
Installed latest drivers​
Running Ryzen Balanced Plan​
All temps were monitored by Ryzen Master​

I was planning to buy the Cooler master Hyper 212 BE but found that it wont fit into the cabinet as the clearance is just 150mm only. Can you guys suggests a good AIR or liquid cooler?

I did finalise a few but am totally confused with which one to go with but I am ok with any other cooler with similar performance:
ARCTIC Freezer 34 Duo ------ Not available currently in India​
Corsair H60 -- as it beats the Artic freezer 34 Duo​

Cheers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Kingston UV500 480 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-05 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Gigabyte B-H 700 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Monitor: BenQ GW2480 23.8" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Antec: C40, Deepcool Gammaxx 300, Coolermaster Hyper 410R are available in mdcomputers which are tower coolers under 150mm, but i recommend you to install liquid cooler because since your cabinet is limited by maximum cpu cooler height.

Going with smaller coolers are not recommended for our ambient temperature, (i live in chennai)

So if you are not gonna OC your CPU then i recommend

Antec Neptune 240 ARGB
Deepcool GamerStorm Captain 240 EX White
Nzxt KRAKEN X52 RGB (But 11000k here in india)

if your budget good enough, go for Nzxt. or else Antec Neptune 240 ARGB is better

Mine supports 155mm so i went for Antec A400 tower cooler itself.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's a couple of things to understand.
First, it's a Ryzen, not an Intel. Fundamental difference in approach.

With Intels at idle, the downclock but keep all cores active, so any background tasks get split up over the entire cpu, you only see the hottest core spike from a service or posses start.

With Ryzen at idle, every core except one is deactivated, so the entire load of background tasks is concentrated on a single core, by default the hottest, so you'll see higher temps, and consequently higher spikes, but that's only one core, not the entire cpu.

40's to 60's spikes are totally normal behavior for a Ryzen, it doesn't get to spread the loads out, so instead of 2 services per core like Intel, it's got all 12 services concentrated, so startup spikes are higher.

Idle temps are a measure of airflow and cpu cooler efficiency, otherwise they can be relegated to secondary concerns. Load temps are the priority. All you need is something decent that fits and is effective enough to handle the cpu output wattage under high loads.

With the Spec 05, and higher ambient temps, I'd suggest a 240/360mm AIO, as there's relatively few decent under 150mm air coolers that'll handle the efficiency well enough.

Difference between a 240/360mm isn't temps on that cpu, they'll run right about the same, it's a matter of looks, availability, price and fan volume under load. The 360mm has higher capacity, larger rad, greater surface area, so fans do not need to spin as fast to get the same results.

2x exhaust fans. Rear/top-rear, block off the top front. This forces the exhaust fans to use case air for supply, instead of sucking in fresh air through a giant hole in the top. Promotes better airflow.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
There's a couple of things to understand.
First, it's a Ryzen, not an Intel. Fundamental difference in approach.

With Intels at idle, the downclock but keep all cores active, so any background tasks get split up over the entire cpu, you only see the hottest core spike from a service or posses start.

With Ryzen at idle, every core except one is deactivated, so the entire load of background tasks is concentrated on a single core, by default the hottest, so you'll see higher temps, and consequently higher spikes, but that's only one core, not the entire cpu.

40's to 60's spikes are totally normal behavior for a Ryzen, it doesn't get to spread the loads out, so instead of 2 services per core like Intel, it's got all 12 services concentrated, so startup spikes are higher.

Idle temps are a measure of airflow and cpu cooler efficiency, otherwise they can be relegated to secondary concerns. Load temps are the priority. All you need is something decent that fits and is effective enough to handle the cpu output wattage under high loads.

With the Spec 05, and higher ambient temps, I'd suggest a 240/360mm AIO, as there's relatively few decent under 150mm air coolers that'll handle the efficiency well enough.

Difference between a 240/360mm isn't temps on that cpu, they'll run right about the same, it's a matter of looks, availability, price and fan volume under load. The 360mm has higher capacity, larger rad, greater surface area, so fans do not need to spin as fast to get the same results.

2x exhaust fans. Rear/top-rear, block off the top front. This forces the exhaust fans to use case air for supply, instead of sucking in fresh air through a giant hole in the top. Promotes better airflow.

I feel since our ambient temperature is high, am having three fans at front and one at rear to push the exhaust out but has my stock could not maintain the idle below 53 in my area due to high ambient temperature,

So i feel since his cabinet does not support tower coolers above 155mm, so in spite of the set up he can reduce the temperature if he goes for liquid cooler, because right now my ambient temperature is close to 32 now and my antec A400 keeps my idle at 43,

That load temperature is too hot for a stock cooler running at 40C ambient temperature. The idle is a bit high but understandable. Are you sure you installed the stock cooler properly.

Look at Deepcool Assassin III or NH-D15, those are two of my favourites.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Neither will fit in that case, not even close.

It's impossible to cool a cpu below ambient temps by mechanical means, and a fan/heatsink or aio is a mechanical mean. You also have to figure WHICH ambient is relative. There's s rather large difference between the case ambient and room ambient temps, cases run 3-12°C hotter than outside on average. This makes aircoolers which use CASE ambient air not a good idea in warmer climates, liquid coolers with front intake offering the best setup.

47-67°C will be absolutely normal for a 37-40ish outside ambient, in no way are those idle temps high for a Ryzen, being 10° warmer, that's cpu load + case ambient air. Granted airflow could be improved and that will lower that by a few ° C.

asf1992

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
That load temperature is too hot for a stock cooler running at 40C ambient temperature. The idle is a bit high but understandable. Are you sure you installed the stock cooler properly.

Look at Deepcool Assassin III or NH-D15, those are two of my favourites.

Hi,

I thought that was the case and I re-installed the Cooler and its still the same. Did find that i was using the beta BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6. This was re-flashed to the latest stable version with AGESA 1.0.0.5 and the idle temperature remains stable between 47-50 degrees

Under light load it shoots to 76 degrees and running AIDA64 on fool load, temps hit 95 degrees and then throttles.

Regards

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Hi,

I thought that was the case and I re-installed the Cooler and its still the same. Did find that i was using the beta BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6. This was re-flashed to the latest stable version with AGESA 1.0.0.5 and the idle temperature remains stable between 47-50 degrees

Under light load it shoots to 76 degrees and running AIDA64 on fool load, temps hit 95 degrees and then throttles.

Regards
In that leave it if you are satisfied with the current temperatures. For me if your gaming load is 75 or 75+ it's ok. If it's 85+ then you might need to do something. Then leave it as it is

asf1992

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Neither will fit in that case, not even close.

It's impossible to cool a cpu below ambient temps by mechanical means, and a fan/heatsink or aio is a mechanical mean. You also have to figure WHICH ambient is relative. There's s rather large difference between the case ambient and room ambient temps, cases run 3-12°C hotter than outside on average. This makes aircoolers which use CASE ambient air not a good idea in warmer climates, liquid coolers with front intake offering the best setup.

47-67°C will be absolutely normal for a 37-40ish outside ambient, in no way are those idle temps high for a Ryzen, being 10° warmer, that's cpu load + case ambient air. Granted airflow could be improved and that will lower that by a few ° C.

Yup thats correct both the Deepcool Assassin III or the NH-D15 wont fit the corsair Spec-05.

Dont want anything fancy or go overkill. Can go with an Air cooler doing a better job than an expensive Liquid cooler.

Would a 120 mm Liquid cooling be enough for the temps to go down?

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Yup thats correct both the Deepcool Assassin III or the NH-D15 wont fit the corsair Spec-05.

Dont want anything fancy or go overkill. Can go with an Air cooler doing a better job than an expensive Liquid cooler.

Would a 120 mm Liquid cooling be enough for the temps to go down?
A Neptune 120 will do, cheap and best for 5k. If you are not clocking then it's good.

asf1992

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
In that leave it if you are satisfied with the current temperatures. For me if your gaming load is 75 or 75+ it's ok. If it's 85+ then you might need to do something. Then leave it as it is

A Neptune 120 will do, cheap and best for 5k. If you are not clocking then it's good.

Considering that the NH-C14S is the best i can put in my case, I have made a list of AIO's i can put in at the same price

Which one do you guys think would perform the best:
NH-C14S 6,749​
NZXT Kraken M22 6,500​
Corsair Hydro H60 5,253​
Deepcool GamerStorm Maelstrom 240 RGB 5,710​
Deepcool Gammaxx L240 V2 RGB 5,999​
Thermaltake Water 3.0 120 ARGB Sync 6,261​
ANTEC NEPTUNE 120 ARGB 5,200​
Antec Neptune 240 ARGB 7,666​

asf1992

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Ok so here's a list of all the coolers

Antec Mercury 240 RGB All In One 240mm CPU Liquid Cooler
Antec Neptune 240 ARGB Advance All In One 240mm Cpu Liquid Cooler
DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX L240 V2 RGB ALL IN ONE 240MM CPU LIQUID COOLER
DEEPCOOL CASTLE 240 RGB V2 240MM CPU LIQUID COOLER
Deepcool GamerStorm Maelstrom 240 RGB

Looking at that I can only see the Antec Neptune vs Castle, which would you suggest

alexbirdie

Respectable
Considering that the NH-C14S is the best i can put in my case, I have made a list of AIO's i can put in at the same price

Which one do you guys think would perform the best:
NH-C14S 6,749​
NZXT Kraken M22 6,500​
Corsair Hydro H60 5,253​
Deepcool GamerStorm Maelstrom 240 RGB 5,710​
Deepcool Gammaxx L240 V2 RGB 5,999​
Thermaltake Water 3.0 120 ARGB Sync 6,261​
ANTEC NEPTUNE 120 ARGB 5,200​
Antec Neptune 240 ARGB 7,666​

I have 3950x with Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync and it works quite well.
Therefore Thermaltake Water 3.0 120 ARGB Sync should be good concerning built quality. About cooling capabilities I cannot say anything.

But I would suggest at least a 240-AIO, if there is room enough in the case.

asf1992

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Hey Guys,

Just an update, I disabled PBO and Core Boost performance and now the CPU runs at 3.56GHz, when I run AIDA64, idle is around 49 and full load temperature is max 70 degrees.

I guess the PBO and Core boost performance is not that stable and for me 3.7GHz @90 degrees is not worth it.

Do you think overclocking manually would help ?

Regards

Last edited:

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Hey Guys,

Just an update, I disabled PBO and Core Boost performance and now the CPU runs at 3.56GHz, when I run AIDA64, idle is around 49 and full load temperature is max 70 degrees.

I guess the PBO and Core boost performance is not that stable and for me 3.7GHz @90 degrees is not worth it.

Do you think overclocking manually would help ?

Regards
Bro just change the cooler everything will be fine, and enable the core boost later . till then try to manage the temperature if there is no other issues.