Question Ryzen 5 3600 cooler

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
Hi,
I want to upgrade to a ryzen 5 3600 and wanted to know if i'll have to purchase an aftermarket cooler. Ive seen a lot of reviews and videos, some saying that its sufficient for stock settings and some stating that the stock cooler isnt enough to cool the chip as the temps reach 75c.
So would i have to purchase another cooler? And also how much fps difference is there in gaming between ryzen 5 3600 and i5 9600?
Thanks

If you do want a different cooler though, I purchased an AMD wraith prism a while ago for about 30 dollars on eBay. One of those that never appeared to have been installed. Still was in box with stock paste.

That said, depending on what you want, like if you wanted to overclock, you would probably want a higher end cooler. I will defer on that portion.

The stock cooler is sufficient for most people though it may get a bit loud at times. I'd look to replace at some point. Not a lot of difference in gaming between the 2 CPUs you mentioned they're both great for games but the 3600x is a much more capable chip. I have them both and I think the 9600k at 5ghz is my gaming preferred chip seems to be smoother but very close

I don't own the i5, I have owned a 1600 and now a 1700x. The thing I would say about the i5, is that no hyperthreading could eventually make the 9600k obsolete. Look at the older quad core i5's. They now sometimes struggle with modern titles. I would say if games keep pushing towards more multithreaded performance, that the 3600 will last longer. So for today, the i5 may do better. But in say 2-3 years, the 3600 may be doing better. Who knows really at this point.