[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 Cooling

VeloxUK

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
So I built my last system which was a i7-6700k paired with a GTX 970 a couple years back. It serverd me well but I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600 w/ a RTX 2070. I was using a Corsair H100i to cool the old i7 and was considering using it for this new processer but its around 4 years old so decided to use the cooler that came with the Ryzen CPU.

I built the system and all seemed well other than I was getting FPS dips on games like AC Origins at high settings. So me being paranoid as I havent built a system in some time presumed I had done something wrong. So I started going through and checking things. I looked at the CPU temp on idle and it was jumping from 40C to 67C with just AMD Ryzen Master open to monitor the temps.

So I changed the case fans around and get a more constant 40 degress but likes to peak at 55/60 randomly and bounce straight back. Although it improved the result im not sure if its are something to worry about and would appreciate any advice or information.

Thanks

Solution
in case of Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler 40 deg is normal and good, i live in a hot place with ambient temperature around 30deg, so for me i reached 55 in idle and 85 plus in gaming, so i installed antec A400 brought it down to 41 at idle and 71 at gaming, so i got a difference of 10 deg

The wraith stock cooler stays close to the recommended CPU temperature, but if you want better life then change to custom air cooler like antec a400, gammaxx 400 , or cooler master hyper 212.

and for temperature spike keep the power settings to windows balanced and not AMD ryzen balanced,

And while gaming change to ryzen performance,

if you are browsing and watching videos change to windows saver.

Bottom line when compared to...

nabilur

Prominent
Sep 23, 2019
So I built my last system which was a i7-6700k paired with a GTX 970 a couple years back. It serverd me well but I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600 w/ a RTX 2070. I was using a Corsair H100i to cool the old i7 and was considering using it for this new processer but its around 4 years old so decided to use the cooler that came with the Ryzen CPU.

I built the system and all seemed well other than I was getting FPS dips on games like AC Origins at high settings. So me being paranoid as I havent built a system in some time presumed I had done something wrong. So I started going through and checking things. I looked at the CPU temp on idle and it was jumping from 40C to 67C with just AMD Ryzen Master open to monitor the temps.

So I changed the case fans around and get a more constant 40 degress but likes to peak at 55/60 randomly and bounce straight back. Although it improved the result im not sure if its are something to worry about and would appreciate any advice or information.

Thanks
I have the same issue. My climate is pretty hot, so I actually have it bounce from 50C to 60C, but I don't have any FPS issues like you. I'm running a 3800X with a 2080 Super though.

Thanks
Temperature "bounce" specially in idle is normal and not as important as maximum temps at high load . that's when you have to take temperature measurements.
Typically, Ryzen would start dropping PBO (boost) maximum frequency at about 62-65c with higher drops at over about high 70s while really bad throttling occurs at 90c, shutdown at 95c.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
in case of Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler 40 deg is normal and good, i live in a hot place with ambient temperature around 30deg, so for me i reached 55 in idle and 85 plus in gaming, so i installed antec A400 brought it down to 41 at idle and 71 at gaming, so i got a difference of 10 deg

The wraith stock cooler stays close to the recommended CPU temperature, but if you want better life then change to custom air cooler like antec a400, gammaxx 400 , or cooler master hyper 212.

and for temperature spike keep the power settings to windows balanced and not AMD ryzen balanced,

And while gaming change to ryzen performance,

if you are browsing and watching videos change to windows saver.

Bottom line when compared to windows power settings AMD ryzen power settings will always have that Cpu usage and temperature spike sometimes.

Solution