[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 gets too hot

Mar 30, 2019
Hi all,

I just built my new rig with an Asus PRIME X470-PRO and an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, freshly installed Win 10, installed all the drivers for the MB and AMD Ryzen Master. I noticed immediately that my CPU temp at idle was 55°C. I tried to run Cinebench and the temperature hit 94°C, so I think that this might be a problem.

I have mounted the stock cooler on top of the CPU, replacing the stock thermal paste with some ARCTIC MX-4. I don't get why it gets so hot. BIOS is still on optimized default.

Please, let me know if someone has some ideas.

Solution
Those NZXT case's have very unique negative pressure airflow situations. I just got a 3600 and have a 240 AIO on it and it idles around 30-38C, and under Prime95 Small FFT gets to 78C. You have a stock cooler and are running Cinebench, in game you are not going to see crazy temps. Or at least shouldn't. If you want better temps reliably I reccomend getting a much better cooler, or at least a solid air cooler. I recommend though the DeepCool AIOs over cheap air coolers, or for a similar price a Noctua air cooler. Also, like I said those cases are weird. Having those case fans at 100% may help, even with the glass panel off.

Also, make sure your case fans are running up, even with the side panel off to get that hot air away from the...
Apr 2, 2019
seems to be a common issue with these running hot and idling around 50+. Most lay blame on the bios and voltage issues. Check if there are updates for your bios

Mar 30, 2019
Can you take a picture of your case? Your case might have horrid airflow.

This is an image of the open case. The side that is missing is tempered glass. As you can see there is one fan on the top and one on the back, plus the CPU fan.

IMG-0882.jpg

seems to be a common issue with these running hot and idling around 50+. Most lay blame on the bios and voltage issues. Check if there are updates for your bios

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version prior to installing the CPU.

Now my idle temp is ~43°C, but Cinebench pushes the temp up to 88°C. Keep in mind that the room is pretty warm, between ~25 to ~28 during the day, but I don't think is enough to push the temp up so much.

Do you know other tests that I can run in order to gather more information? What I want to figure out is it's a problem of my CPU, so I can return it, or it's a temporary problem due to the novelty of the Ryzen generation.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
This is an image of the open case. The side that is missing is tempered glass. As you can see there is one fan on the top and one on the back, plus the CPU fan.

IMG-0882.jpg

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version prior to installing the CPU.

Now my idle temp is ~43°C, but Cinebench pushes the temp up to 88°C. Keep in mind that the room is pretty warm, between ~25 to ~28 during the day, but I don't think is enough to push the temp up so much.

Do you know other tests that I can run in order to gather more information? What I want to figure out is it's a problem of my CPU, so I can return it, or it's a temporary problem due to the novelty of the Ryzen generation.
Does it improve if you run cinebench with the side panel off? That would indicate an airflow problem in the case. That fan setup isn't ideal but the NZXT cases are a bit weird with airflow. I'm not 100% that front intake fans are going to help much. Either way based on my testing the stock cooler kind of sucks and I would replace it with a $30-40 tower air cooler.

Mar 30, 2019
Does it improve if you run cinebench with the side panel off? That would indicate an airflow problem in the case. That fan setup isn't ideal but the NZXT cases are a bit weird with airflow. I'm not 100% that front intake fans are going to help much. Either way based on my testing the stock cooler kind of sucks and I would replace it with a $30-40 tower air cooler.

With or without the side glass, the temperature is still the same. Reinstalling Windows, I didn't reinstall Asus' AI Suite, and I installed only AMD's Ryzen Master for monitoring the system. Now the idle temperature of CPU is ~37°C with peaks up to 47°C, and the temperature when I run Cinebench is ~88°C.

Reactions: rigg42
Jan 28, 2019
Those NZXT case's have very unique negative pressure airflow situations. I just got a 3600 and have a 240 AIO on it and it idles around 30-38C, and under Prime95 Small FFT gets to 78C. You have a stock cooler and are running Cinebench, in game you are not going to see crazy temps. Or at least shouldn't. If you want better temps reliably I reccomend getting a much better cooler, or at least a solid air cooler. I recommend though the DeepCool AIOs over cheap air coolers, or for a similar price a Noctua air cooler. Also, like I said those cases are weird. Having those case fans at 100% may help, even with the glass panel off.

Also, make sure your case fans are running up, even with the side panel off to get that hot air away from the down draft cooler. 88C is only going to just start to throttle, and in games you are not going to hit anywhere near that even with the stock cooler. Again, at least you shouldn't - see how you do temp and performance wise in games and go from there.

Solution
Mar 30, 2019
Yeah, not going to work under heavy load, just gaming, programming and stuff, I don't think it will be pushed to Cinebench's level, but I wanted to be sure there isn't a problem with my unit.