[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 + GTX 960 4GB?

Solution
Again just remember bottlenecks is a misused and dynamic term. There is no single hardware that bottlenecks another (outside of maybe pairing a 2nd gen i3 with a brand new top of the line GPU)

"Bottlenecks" are application dependant.
In CPU intensive applications, you may find the 3600 may bottleneck regardless as to the GPU.
In GPU intensive applications, you may find the GPU will bottleneck regardless as to the CPU.
It's all about identifying the applications you run, and identifying what performance you want from it, then what is the most logical upgrade from that point. :)

As a side tip, always make sure you're running a good quality PSU will almost any discrete GPU...

jandrsn27

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
If your goal is just to save some money you get can get by with a much less powerful and older cpu. The 960 will bottleneck your 3600, while very few gpus will bottleneck your 3600. If I remember correctly you can go as low as an I5 3rd gen and still not bottleneck the 960. Those used desktops can still be found for roughly 100$ used off ebay. If you have the money though and you want to buy a ryzen 5 3600 this will just give you a platform for YEARS to come and is a smart buy as well. I currently own a 3600 and I just have a few tips for you, make sure you buy ddr4 3200 mem 16gb, buy a b450m board not x570, and ditch the fancy and expensive coolers. Overclocking the ryzen 5 3600 will give you sometimes 2fps extra in games........ just not worth it at all. The memory however will give you the biggest boost 3200 mhz 16 cas, dont need bdie for the 3600. Good luck.

Reactions: FilipUser07
Aug 25, 2019
If your goal is just to save some money you get can get by with a much less powerful and older cpu. The 960 will bottleneck your 3600, while very few gpus will bottleneck your 3600. If I remember correctly you can go as low as an I5 3rd gen and still not bottleneck the 960. Those used desktops can still be found for roughly 100$ used off ebay. If you have the money though and you want to buy a ryzen 5 3600 this will just give you a platform for YEARS to come and is a smart buy as well. I currently own a 3600 and I just have a few tips for you, make sure you buy ddr4 3200 mem 16gb, buy a b450m board not x570, and ditch the fancy and expensive coolers. Overclocking the ryzen 5 3600 will give you sometimes 2fps extra in games........ just not worth it at all. The memory however will give you the biggest boost 3200 mhz 16 cas, dont need bdie for the 3600. Good luck.

Thank you for the tips. :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Again just remember bottlenecks is a misused and dynamic term. There is no single hardware that bottlenecks another (outside of maybe pairing a 2nd gen i3 with a brand new top of the line GPU)

"Bottlenecks" are application dependant.
In CPU intensive applications, you may find the 3600 may bottleneck regardless as to the GPU.
In GPU intensive applications, you may find the GPU will bottleneck regardless as to the CPU.
It's all about identifying the applications you run, and identifying what performance you want from it, then what is the most logical upgrade from that point. :)

As a side tip, always make sure you're running a good quality PSU will almost any discrete GPU.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

Solution