[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 heats up to 87 celsius during cinebench

lordofthenecklaces

Commendable
Mar 7, 2019
It heats up to 87C in the first minute.I bought this cpu to play Battlefield 2042 am ı going to get similar temperatures during gaming?Or are gaming temps and stress test temps vastly different?Im currently downloading Bf 5 to check the temperatures.I reckon both games will have somewhat similar amount of cpu usage.My cpu usually stays between 64-68 while playing Gta 5 and Apex but those game barely even utilize the cpu

Last edited:
Solution
Cinebench isn't even the worst stresstest in terms of temps. Run Prime95 smallFFT and see your PC reboot. But Prime85 is also the best stability test. Cinebench isn't for that.
Games will be fine. CPU should do 50-70 C in those. With stock PBO.
I don't like the behavior of PBO2 and always trying to boost cores even when I'm at desktop just watching some video and it heats up my machine for no reason. So I turned off PBO and did a static overclock with lower voltages. It's colder, slightly faster, at least in Cinebench, and quieter. What's not to like? I have Ryzen 5600x.
PBO does make the CPU run hotter and needs better cooling to go along with it to also get the performance improvements it can bring.

Aggressive boosting even...
That's pretty warm but it won't get that hot when gaming. Cinebench is a heavy all-core work load that makes extensive use of AVX instructions. Games are mostly single threaded, even multi-threaded ones as secondary threads aren't so heavily loaded as the primary and not nearly so much AVX instructions.

What cooler are you using? The stock cooler keeps the CPU safe but is barely adequate; an upgrade there will help a lot.

And lastly, make sure all the fasteners are evenly tightened for mounting the cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz

lordofthenecklaces

Commendable
Mar 7, 2019
That's pretty warm but it won't get that hot when gaming. Cinebench is a heavy all-core work load that makes extensive use of AVX instructions. Games are mostly single threaded, even multi-threaded ones as secondary threads aren't so heavily loaded as the primary and not nearly so much AVX instructions.

What cooler are you using? The stock cooler keeps the CPU safe but is barely adequate; an upgrade there will help a lot.

And lastly, make sure all the fasteners are evenly tightened for mounting the cooler.
I am using a third party cooler called Snowman T6 Ultra.Temps are fine in games like Gta and Apex.If it heats up in Battlefield ı might consider turning cbp off.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Cinebench isn't even the worst stresstest in terms of temps. Run Prime95 smallFFT and see your PC reboot. But Prime85 is also the best stability test. Cinebench isn't for that.
I don't like the behavior of PBO2 and always trying to boost cores even when I'm at desktop just watching some video and it heats up my machine for no reason. So I turned off PBO and did a static overclock with lower voltages. It's colder, slightly faster, at least in Cinebench, and quieter. What's not to like? I have Ryzen 5600x.

PBO does make the CPU run hotter and needs better cooling to go along with it to also get the performance improvements it can bring.

Aggressive boosting even at idle is intrinsic to Ryzen's operation and not just with PBO. It's called a "rush to idle", a power saving strategy that entails trying to keep the CPU in a C6 deep sleep state. But when a process load comes along it boosts to max clocks (depending on temperature and VRM headroom) to finish it off quickly and put it back into the deep sleep.

But the temp readings at idle aren't as significant as you think. There are dozens of temp sensors all over the CPU and everytime it boosts even a single core one of them, or a few in sequence, will register a temp spike in one tiny little area of the CPU. The temp reading is the hottest one at that moment. It's like lighting a match in the room; that match will be really hot but the room temp isn't affected. Not until you light several thousand at once as during a sustained heavy workload, especially if multi-threaded .

Fans pulsing along with the temp can be fixed with fan curves. I set a fixed fan speed that's not annoying up to 65 or 70C and only start raising it from there.

Last edited:
Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

Boosting at idle is intrinsic to Ryzen's operation and not just with PBO. It's called a "rush to idle", a power saving strategy that entails trying to keep the CPU in a C6 deep sleep state. But when a process load comes along it boosts to max clocks (depending on temperature and VRM headroom) to finish it off quickly and put it back into the deep sleep.

But the temp readings at idle aren't as significant as you think. There are dozens of temp sensors all over the CPU and everytime it boosts even a single core one of them, or a few in sequence, will register a temp spike in one tiny little area of the CPU. The temp reading is the hottest one at that moment. It's like lighting a match in the room; that match will be really hot but the room temp isn't affected. Not until you light several thousand at once as during an all-core heavy workload.

Fans pulsing along with the temp can be fixed with fan curves. I set a fixed fan speed that's not annoying up to 65 or 70C and only start raising it from there.
My temps dropped by 10 C across the board at idle. Idle to me is watching Youtube or similar. If I don't have programs open, I don't have PC on.

My temps dropped by 10 C across the board at idle. Idle to me is watching Youtube or similar. If I don't have programs open, I don't have PC on.

Yeah, funny thing is Windows has programs open even when you don't. My system has 130 running processes, over 1700 registered threads, with just Task Manager open. The OS has them open for a reason, most are not doing anything but one or two is constantly waking up to do something. When it does, that's when the CPU wakes a core and boosts it to get it done super quick.

Turning your PC off when not using it is really the best way to save energy. Speedy NVME's make booting so quick now, even when Windows' buggy Fast Startup is disabled. But don't do it if you think it's going to make for longer life.

Short of running above TJmax, nothing is more stressful to electronics than the in-rush currents at startup. I leave mine on unless I know I won't be back at it in over an hour or so, but someone with higher electric rates may have different priorities. Just keep in mind what GPU prices are these days.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are dozens of temp sensors all over the CPU and everytime it boosts even a single core one of them, or a few in sequence, will register a temp spike in one tiny little area of the CPU. The temp reading is the hottest one at that moment. It's like lighting a match in the room; that match will be really hot but the room temp isn't affected. Not until you light several thousand at once as during a sustained heavy workload, especially if multi-threaded .
depends on what sensor readout you follow though, I tend to ignore the one that is always spiking to 51 and then rushing to idle at 41, I prefer to look at the CPU CCD1 (Tdie) which is the average and far closer to actual temp of most of that room you mention.

What sensors is op using to track temps?
I think I get about 80 in cinebench, I don't run it often enough to remember.

Windows is never doing nothing.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
... I prefer to look at the CPU CCD1 (Tdie)....

THAT'S the best one to look at to assess the true thermal state of the CPU. But it's not exactly a sensor: it's a running average of telemetry provided by the CPU.

Sadly the sensor the BIOS follows doesn't (can't?) do a running average so it's as spikey as the telemetry. Fans end up pulsing along with it if too tight a curve is set.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i know its not one sensor, its an average of all of them on the ccd Core Chiplet Die) on CPU. Ryzen with more cores have multiple ccd on the chip., 3600 only have the one - If anything makes it easier to see what temps are as less totals to look at.

I guess i don't notice spikes on AIO, it tracks liquid temps and they aren't spikey. In winter (like now) its always 29c so I had PC a year and I think its avg temp is 41c . HWINFO doesn't track that long. Shame it doesn't remember temps from previous days. Lowest I seen CPU was 17c yesterday at startup.

Last edited:
I guess i don't notice spikes on AIO, it tracks liquid temps and they aren't spikey.
Liquid temp? I wish i had a sensor on mine as it's really good to know.

Just remember the properties that make water so good for cooling. Given the volume of water in a typical CCL it can absorb immense amounts of heat before raising even one degree. Even a 240 or 360mm AIO has a pretty large volume so it's also very slow to warm. And then, heat movement is also limited out of 7nm die due to it's small surface area. Result is I really can't see that as being CPU temperature at all...but instead the thermal state of the AIO liquid. Which is darn important since you'll know when it's saturating in sustained heavy workloads.

Colif

Win 11 Master
H100i fan speed is based on temp of the liquid in the radiator I believe. it doesn't spike up and down like the package temps do. Highest it got last summer was 34c, lowest I seen is 26c, its normally somewhere in between. Fan speeds just increase as liquid temps do. I can't hear my aio fans over the case fans for 9 months of the year, they spin faster in summer to maintain similar temps. If I actually get a normal summer next year it might change. Last year was mild and not a good measure of normal here

Just played Battlefield 5 and temperature was below 75
Seems reasonable. I never realized BF 5 made such intensive use of the CPU.

It's really important, though, to make sure the GPU's hot air isn't getting directed to the intake of the CPU cooler. That's can happen pretty easily with an air cooler if case airflow isn't managed well. That's one reason I like front mounted AIO's as it's impossible not to give the CPU great cooling and yet GPU's don't seem to be bothered in the least by it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That's one reason I like front mounted AIO's as it's impossible not to give the CPU great cooling and yet GPU's don't seem to be bothered in the least by it.
and yet how many people put a 3090 in a PC with a top mounted AIO and wonder why its so hot. front mounted makes sense to me.
Shame so many build videos put it on top and people assume that is best place as who wants "hot" air blowing on parts... well, if liquid is only 29C and inside of pc is on average 33c, its not that warm really. It just seems to make sense to have it exhaust but reality isn't like that. GPU doesn't care where the radiator is, blowing air through rad onto gpu doesn't make it any warmer, might just blow heat away more.

knowing what case op has is also a handy thing to know, how many intake fans, is it a glass case or does it let pc get fresh air easy.

lordofthenecklaces

Commendable
Mar 7, 2019
and yet how many people put a 3090 in a PC with a top mounted AIO and wonder why its so hot. front mounted makes sense to me.
Shame so many build videos put it on top and people assume that is best place as who wants "hot" air blowing on parts... well, if liquid is only 29C and inside of pc is on average 33c, its not that warm really. It just seems to make sense to have it exhaust but reality isn't like that. GPU doesn't care where the radiator is, blowing air through rad onto gpu doesn't make it any warmer, might just blow heat away more.

knowing what case op has is also a handy thing to know, how many intake fans, is it a glass case or does it let pc get fresh air easy.
3 ıntake fans in front 1 exhaust at the back

Colif

Win 11 Master
Normally people have more one than other, its hard to get balanced air flow to work right. Positive is what you have now, 3 in and 1 out, you have more air going in that coming out, it means most dust should get trapped on the intake fan filters and won't try to get in anywhere it can, instead all extra gaps should be used to exhaust air

Having more out than in means that air will try to get in anywhere it can instead of just through intake fan filters - I think this is what I have. I tend to see all the dust build up on my top exhaust fans but that is due to my case having fine mesh on top of case and it gets trapped exiting case. Never seen any in front filters.
I have to assume 3 x 140mm exhaust is more than 2 x 120mm intake but fan speeds wouldn't be the same so I am guessing. The 2 120mm at front don't spin real fast, I can't tell with the top exhausts as they not pwm fans

Having the same amount in as out is the hardest to get right. If you add 2 more exhausts, that is where you would be. You could buy 2 more fans but I would just put 1 more exhaust fan in above CPU, if your case like mine the front exhaust could just be sucking cool air out of PC too soon. Then you can always put 3rd fan in and see if it helps/doesn't