[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 high idle temps but voltage is fine

I am a noob and just built my first pc and installed windows and updated it. i was installing gta 5 and ryzen master and i noticed on ryzen master my cpu temp was hovering around 65C with task manager showing 6-10% usage. It has a stock cooler and B550 Aorus Pro AC. I had a couple problems with the cooler installation and had to redo it a couple times. And CPU-Z shows voltage is constantly under 1.4V, barely going up to 1.396V Pls help!

Edit: Updated a chipset driver from Gigabyte's website and tightened a screw on the cooler that wasnt fully tight. Temps are hovering around 50-55C idle now. Clock still stays 4-4.2ghz idle and voltage goes from 1.2 to 1.4V

Last edited:
Solution
If removing the front glass panel didn't work, I would hoel on the more case fans, and only worry about getting a decent budget cooler.
Having not enough pressure from the cooler on the CPU definitely will increase temps.

The idle voltage is fine at 1.4v, the CPU won't run this under any significant load. It only does that under light loads to hit the max boost frequencies.

I would personally try redoing it one more time, make sure you put a big enough blob or an x pattern on that chip, then reinstall the cooler properly. That might help. But 45-50C idle is normal with the standard stealth cooler.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Having not enough pressure from the cooler on the CPU definitely will increase temps.

The idle voltage is fine at 1.4v, the CPU won't run this under any significant load. It only does that under light loads to hit the max boost frequencies.

I would personally try redoing it one more time, make sure you put a big enough blob or an x pattern on that chip, then reinstall the cooler properly. That might help. But 45-50C idle is normal with the standard stealth cooler.
What about the frequency? That won't go under 4ghz (3.75 for a split second) and it suddenly rises to 70 when I open chrome then drops to about 55-60. Is this normal too?

Don't rely on task manager or CPU-Z for clock speed info. Ryzen Master is the only one that gives the actual core frequency.

What's your maximum temp during a 100% workload like cinebench?
Well I didn't run cinebench and it's night here, I'll do it about 10-12h later but I did run GTA V and when I quickly did alt+tab to check Temps on ryzen master, the highest I'd seen was 88-89C

Hotkopipeng

Prominent
Jul 7, 2020
Hi guys, I am having the same problem. Just built my PC 2 weekends ago. I realised my temps fluctuate between 55 to about 70 when just surfing the web. It will go up to about 80 to 90 when I am playing GTA 5.

My setup is as such:
CPU - Ryzen 3600
Mobo - MSI B450M Bazooka Max Wifi
GPU - Zotac RTX 2060
Ram - Klev Bolt 16gb (2 x 8gb) 3200Mhz
PSU - FSP HV Pro 650W Bronze 80+
Case - Tecware Nexus M (2 120mm front intake fan and 1 120mm rear exhaust)

I ran Cinebench and my temps went up to 95 degrees c and it was throttling a little.

I have tried to reseat the cpu cooler, replacing the thermal paste, updating Bios, checking Ryzen balance power thingy but to no luck. I ordered 3 additional fans which will be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully it will help.

My GPU is sitting at a cool 43 degrees c while my CPU is just flying all over above 55 to about 70 when just surfing the net.

Anyone who found any solution please share. This is killing me. Is there any chance it might be a faulty cpu?

Thanks in advance for any help rendered!

• Make sure you tighten the CPU cooler screws the right way (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-7).
  • Install the latest BIOS (Motherboard website) and chipset drivers (AMD website).
  • Always load "Defualt"/"Optimized" settings at BIOS after an update.
  • Choose AMD Ryzen Balanced Plan (power plans -> Win+R -> powercfg.cpl)
  • Make sure your motherboard BIOS have any "GamingBoost"/"AutoOC"/"UberPerformanceWhatever" option Disable in BIOS. Otherwise this will probably OC your CPU without your knowladge.
  • Go to the BIOS and disable every single PBO option you can find, usually there are atleast 2/3 options that needs to be disable, it will vary depending on the mobo brand and model, check the motherboard manual online.
  • Make sure Cool&Quiet is Enable in BIOS
  • For temps, voltages, and frecuency use Ryzen Master (which I don't like but is accurate) or hwinfo64 (sensors only option). For checking temps, frecuency, voltage, and what not while gaming use the latest version of MSI Afterburner (you can check Guru3D or MSI website for download).
  • Don't use more than 1 monitoring sofwate at the same time. Pick one and stick with it.
  • If posible avoid installing useless motherboard "centers" apps. Most of this software may mess with the CPU settings.
  • Check to see you have good airflow in your case. Usually you want atleast 2 intakes fans bringin fresh air from the outside to the inside of your case, and at least 2 extra fans as exahust 1 at the back and 1 at the top (if your case have this option).

• You can also try to remove the side panel and see if the temps goes down, if they do then you have an airflow problem.
  • If your case have a solid front panel (plastic, acrylic, glass) without any mesh or with really small one then the front fans may not be able to "breath". One solution, when is posible, is to move this front fans to the back of the frame they are stock monuted. This will give them about 20mm of space from the front solid panel so they can "breath" (Usually when fans are obstructed they may end up not spining all the the way up, and thus moving less air than what they can move, so yeah this is an important issue to take in consideration).
Be advice to proceed with caution, if youre not sure what or how to do something then don't, if you go ahead and do it anyways, do it at your own risk.
If you don't know how to do this or that, where is this option or that one, please be sure to se any of the many guides on internet, download the motherboard manual and read it, check forums threads for your particular hardware and/or ask someone with more knowladge or experience to help you out, specially if that person can be in front of the PC (sometimes a problem can be fixed in 1 minute if youre in front of the troublesome device).

Hi guys, I am having the same problem. Just built my PC 2 weekends ago. I realised my temps fluctuate between 55 to about 70 when just surfing the web. It will go up to about 80 to 90 when I am playing GTA 5.

My setup is as such:
CPU - Ryzen 3600
Mobo - MSI B450M Bazooka Max Wifi
GPU - Zotac RTX 2060
Ram - Klev Bolt 16gb (2 x 8gb) 3200Mhz
PSU - FSP HV Pro 650W Bronze 80+
Case - Tecware Nexus M (2 120mm front intake fan and 1 120mm rear exhaust)

I ran Cinebench and my temps went up to 95 degrees c and it was throttling a little.

I have tried to reseat the cpu cooler, replacing the thermal paste, updating Bios, checking Ryzen balance power thingy but to no luck. I ordered 3 additional fans which will be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully it will help.

My GPU is sitting at a cool 43 degrees c while my CPU is just flying all over above 55 to about 70 when just surfing the net.

Anyone who found any solution please share. This is killing me. Is there any chance it might be a faulty cpu?

Thanks in advance for any help rendered!
Man I looked all over the internet, it seems that the stock cooler is just trash, combine that with trashy airflow in my case (275R non airflow), you get 94° in PUBG, I'm getting more fans for the case and a better cooler for the cpu, hopefully then while gaming I'll get sub 70°, my friend has the same issue, idling around 50° he's also using a stock cooler, the Wraith Stealth is plain trash, get a new cooler (preferable an AIO, then you won't have to buy more fans) it'll do you better than getting more fans

• Make sure you tighten the CPU cooler screws the right way (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-7).
  • Install the latest BIOS (Motherboard website) and chipset drivers (AMD website).
  • Always load "Defualt"/"Optimized" settings at BIOS after an update.
  • Choose AMD Ryzen Balanced Plan (power plans -> Win+R -> powercfg.cpl)
  • Make sure your motherboard BIOS have any "GamingBoost"/"AutoOC"/"UberPerformanceWhatever" option Disable in BIOS. Otherwise this will probably OC your CPU without your knowladge.
  • Go to the BIOS and disable every single PBO option you can find, usually there are atleast 2/3 options that needs to be disable, it will vary depending on the mobo brand and model, check the motherboard manual online.
  • Make sure Cool&Quiet is Enable in BIOS
  • For temps, voltages, and frecuency use Ryzen Master (which I don't like but is accurate) or hwinfo64 (sensors only option). For checking temps, frecuency, voltage, and what not while gaming use the latest version of MSI Afterburner (you can check Guru3D or MSI website for download).
  • Don't use more than 1 monitoring sofwate at the same time. Pick one and stick with it.
  • If posible avoid installing useless motherboard "centers" apps. Most of this software may mess with the CPU settings.
  • Check to see you have good airflow in your case. Usually you want atleast 2 intakes fans bringin fresh air from the outside to the inside of your case, and at least 2 extra fans as exahust 1 at the back and 1 at the top (if your case have this option).

• You can also try to remove the side panel and see if the temps goes down, if they do then you have an airflow problem.
  • If your case have a solid front panel (plastic, acrylic, glass) without any mesh or with really small one then the front fans may not be able to "breath". One solution, when is posible, is to move this front fans to the back of the frame they are stock monuted. This will give them about 20mm of space from the front solid panel so they can "breath" (Usually when fans are obstructed they may end up not spining all the the way up, and thus moving less air than what they can move, so yeah this is an important issue to take in consideration).
Be advice to proceed with caution, if youre not sure what or how to do something then don't, if you go ahead and do it anyways, do it at your own risk.
If you don't know how to do this or that, where is this option or that one, please be sure to se any of the many guides on internet, download the motherboard manual and read it, check forums threads for your particular hardware and/or ask someone with more knowladge or experience to help you out, specially if that person can be in front of the PC (sometimes a problem can be fixed in 1 minute if youre in front of the troublesome device).
I tried this stuff, taking off the tempered glass brought Temps down by about 1-2°, everything else was useless, so I guess that's trivial, I'm just getting more fans and a better cooler, hope that'll make things better, sigh, spending a lot. More cash than I thought I would

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I tried this stuff, taking off the tempered glass brought Temps down by about 1-2°, everything else was useless, so I guess that's trivial, I'm just getting more fans and a better cooler, hope that'll make things better, sigh, spending a lot. More cash than I thought I would
So you had to install the cooler several times. Did you replace the thermal paste each time?
Any time you remove and reinstall the cooler you need new paste. (Clean off the old and apply new)

So you had to install the cooler several times. Did you replace the thermal past each time?
Any time you remove and reinstall the cooler you need new paste. (Clean off the old and apply new)
No like at the start what happened was I put the cooler on top of it and the screws on this thing are weird so I had to apply more pressure than say a normal screw, and I didn't wanna snap anything so I thought I had clearance issues, so I just pulled the cooler off, put it back on, and this happened twice, I didn't operate it in between.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
No like at the start what happened was I put the cooler on top of it and the screws on this thing are weird so I had to apply more pressure than say a normal screw, and I didn't wanna snap anything so I thought I had clearance issues, so I just pulled the cooler off, put it back on, and this happened twice, I didn't operate it in between.
If you put the cooler on the processor then removed it you need to replace the paste it dont matter if you cut it on or not.

If you put the cooler on the processor then removed it you need to replace the paste it dont matter if you cut it on or not.
Wow lol I didn't know I had to replace it even if it was immediate, that might even be it. Hmmm so should I get the Cooler Master 212 Black RGB I was gonna or cancel the order? I really thought the temps would make a huge difference considering what they say on youtube