[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 high temp when idle...? or sensitive...?

AntonioHimself

Prominent
Dec 24, 2020
Right so I've just got this Ryzen 5 3600 and I've noticed that idle temps can be pretty high, I've noticed how temps can be at 39 lowest but then if I make a movement, for example move my mouse up and down constantly the temp start to rise, it can get to a max of 50 when doing the movement. HOWEVER, when going on google and doing the usual things, watching YouTube, listening to Spotify, and possibly have a game in the background the CPU temp goes to around 53 (max I've seen for now) . I know this sounds really confusing and I'm sorry, i cant explain it in any other way. If you're going to reply with "get a better cooler" I can guarantee it wont make much of a difference, I heard the stock cooler could keep the temp at 35 and the cooler that I'm using right now is a "DEEP COOL GAMMAXX GT BK", I've used this cooler on the Ryzen 5 2600 and the temps were just fine, around 38 idle. I've also double checked the cooler to check if its correctly placed and yes it all seems fine, only thing I changed was I used a different thermal paste, which this time it was a "ARCTIC MX-4" and before I used a "SYY Thermal Paste". The fans on the pc are correctly placed as I've mentioned before, on the Ryzen 5 2600 I didn't not have this issue so it can't be the fans fault. Any ideas on what could be the cause?, is it because this CPU came broken?, CPU Cooler fault or I've done something wrong...? OR maybe I shouldn't be concerned about this? I've heard something about the BIOS doing something, I will give it a try soon.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU COOLER: DEEP COOL GAMMAXX GT BK
RAM: 16gb ram 3200mhz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Rog Strix B450-F
POWERSUPPLY: 650W PSU
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
HARDDRIVE: 2 240GB SSD's
HARDDRIVE 2: 1TB HDD
FANS: 6 case fans

Edit 1: I just disabled "performance boost" (from auto to disabled) on BIOS and indeed I have noticed a difference, now temps seem much more fine and I'm not having the issue, but it worries me the fact that I had to do this just so I could see the temps go down as in, since I've done this THIS would mean that my CPU performance will drastically go down...

Edit 2: Overclocked my CPU to 4.2ghz to see if temps would change, I also changed some bios settings to make my CPU better (thanks to a YouTube video dedicated to a Ryzen 5 3600) and my temps have barely changed, temps are at 43-50 when having google with 4 tabs opened (YouTube, twitter etc...), discord and a bg game, this is starting to be confusing now

Last edited:
Solution
Ryzen cpu prefer to keep cores asleep as much as possible, so what happens if you move mouse is that CPU wakes a core to do the process and then as soon as its done, it races back to idle again. What you are seeing are peaks but they may not last very long.

It sounds like you tracking package temps which are recorded by a sensor under cpu in motherboard, I generally track cores. My package ranges from 39 to 54 pretty much all day. I got tired of watching my CPU constantly changing temps so I just watch CPU CCD1 now. It tracks the average temp of all cores. Its more consistent, and ignores the spikes. Most days its somewhere between 35 and 45. Unless its summer, then add a few C :)

i have a 3600xt so temps should be comparable.

if you...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ryzen cpu prefer to keep cores asleep as much as possible, so what happens if you move mouse is that CPU wakes a core to do the process and then as soon as its done, it races back to idle again. What you are seeing are peaks but they may not last very long.

It sounds like you tracking package temps which are recorded by a sensor under cpu in motherboard, I generally track cores. My package ranges from 39 to 54 pretty much all day. I got tired of watching my CPU constantly changing temps so I just watch CPU CCD1 now. It tracks the average temp of all cores. Its more consistent, and ignores the spikes. Most days its somewhere between 35 and 45. Unless its summer, then add a few C :)

i have a 3600xt so temps should be comparable.

if you use HWINFO and change the polling rate you will see the max temps are fleeting - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-hwinfo-to-track-sensor-values-on-ryzen.3693704/

What you are seeing is normal, max temp on 3600 is 95c so you way off that really. You just have to learn to live with it.

Edit 1: I just disabled "performance boost" (from auto to disabled) on BIOS and indeed I have noticed a difference, now temps seem much more fine and I'm not having the issue, but it worries me the fact that I had to do this just so I could see the temps go down as in, since I've done this THIS would mean that my CPU performance will drastically go down...
is that Core Performance Boost? Seems it turns off precision boost and I don't think you can use that, and oc at same time anyway. I am not sure, I don't OC.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntonioHimself
Solution

TRENDING THREADS