[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 high temp

Bored_Gamer

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2013
So I just upgrade from a G4560 to a R5 3600 and to my surprise my cpu temps are high. Reaching up to 90C on PBO and 80+C on eco mode. I'm quite certain that the problem could be with the cooler, I've also made sure that it is properly seated on top of the cpu. I'm using a Tecware Nexus M case it does not have the best airflow so I opened the tempered class cover and my CPU temps are still high.

Now I want to get some opinions on whichever cpu cooler should I get. I'm choosing between the cryorig h7, cryorig m9 plus, and the noctua nhl12s. Other cpu fans that I've seen with good feedback won't fit in my case since it only has 155mm clearance.

Solution
While the Ryzen stock isn't outstanding, it should still provide decent thermals. By 'decent', I mean in the low 80C range.

1)Leave the rear exhaust where it is, move one of the 2 front fans to top exhaust, and leave the remaining fan in the front - but slide it up if you haven't already.
2)Don't use PBO with the stock cooler. It's not cut out for that.
3)Since you changed motherboards, reinstall your OS. Unplug the secondary storage drives before doing so.
4)Update the mobo drivers after the reinstall is complete - as well as plugging back the secondary drives.
5)Leave the power plan on balanced.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
While the Ryzen stock isn't outstanding, it should still provide decent thermals. By 'decent', I mean in the low 80C range.

1)Leave the rear exhaust where it is, move one of the 2 front fans to top exhaust, and leave the remaining fan in the front - but slide it up if you haven't already.
2)Don't use PBO with the stock cooler. It's not cut out for that.
3)Since you changed motherboards, reinstall your OS. Unplug the secondary storage drives before doing so.
4)Update the mobo drivers after the reinstall is complete - as well as plugging back the secondary drives.
5)Leave the power plan on balanced.

Solution
The 3600 does get hot running benchmarks like prime95 or whatever with the stock cooler. For everyday use its fine but if you are going to run benchmarks or mine coins or do distributed computing like folding at home then buying a beefier one would be best