Question ryzen 5 3600 high temps need help

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
im using a ryzen 5 3600 cpu b450 tomahawk motherboard, corsair h100i rgb pro cpu cooler. i just swapped out my ryzen 5 2600 cpu and installed my ryzen 5 3600 cpu idle temps are fluctuating from 30c to a spike of 55 to 60c is this normal? please help

im using a ryzen 5 3600 cpu b450 tomahawk motherboard, corsair h100i rgb pro cpu cooler. i just swapped out my ryzen 5 2600 cpu and installed my ryzen 5 3600 cpu idle temps are fluctuating from 30c to a spike of 55 to 60c is this normal? please help

That sounds high for idle temps- the 3600 is also a pretty low power part....

It might be that your mounting pressure is uneven on the h100i, maybe try reseating the cooler? Also what settings are you running the 3600 at? At stock it should run cool on an AMD box cooler, let alone a h100i....

Have you tested load temps at all, what do they look like?

Edit: Also what voltage is the cpu running at- there have been reports that some motherboards have been setting voltages way too high when upgrading to Ryzen 3000, might need to try resetting the bios and make sure you have the very latest bios installed.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

It might be that your mounting pressure is uneven on the h100i, maybe try reseating the cooler? Also what settings are you running the 3600 at? At stock it should run cool on an AMD box cooler, let alone a h100i....

Edit: Also what voltage is the cpu running at- there have been reports that some motherboards have been setting voltages way too high when upgrading to Ryzen 3000, might need to try resetting the bios and make sure you have the very latest bios installed.
yes the voltages are fluctuating going all the way up to 1.48 or more

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

ill check load temps

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

also do i need to re load windows after a cpu swap?

is aida 64 stress test ok to check load temps with? or how about ryzen master?

Aida 64 will do it (it's a pretty extreme test so if it's ok in that, it will be ok in anything). Ryzen master is ok to keep an eye on temps, you could also use the free 'HW Monitor' tool as well as that gives separate readouts for several different temp sensors building into the cpu (link: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html ).

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Aida 64 will do it (it's a pretty extreme test so if it's ok in that, it will be ok in anything). Ryzen master is ok to keep an eye on temps, you could also use the free 'HW Monitor' tool as well as that gives separate readouts for several different temp sensors building into the cpu (link: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html ).
ok did a aida 64 stress test and im getting 74c average and a spike up to 81c one time

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019

Watercooling have more inertia than air cooling. I have similar jumps to you on air cooling, so it's not unreasonable.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

im getting great temps while gaming, getting max 62c while playing battlefield 5

TRENDING THREADS