[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 High temps

Prezaz

Prominent
Apr 19, 2020
Hi All, just wanted to ask, im getting high idle temps and gaming temps with my ryzen 5 3600. idle i get around 50-55c and while gaming around 80-90c is there anything i can do to reduce the temps? Thanks

Solution
yes exactly like that

OK, so if the CPU Cooler is installed correctly, then there are a few more things to check, as long as you know how to operate inside the BIOS. If youre not sure what youre doing probably is not a good idea to be touching the BIOS settngs.

1. Make sure theres EZ-Tuning in the BIOS is in NORMAL, Check manual page 20: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B450M-A/E14212_PRIME_B450M-A_UM_WEB.pdf.

2. Change to "Ai Tweaker" tab and lok for "Ai OC Turner" and "OC Turner", make sure they are "Disable" Page 21 of the manual. Everything esle should be on "Auto" (of course you can select the correct memory DOCP to enable the XMP profile of your RAM if you haven't.

3. If you use...

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
The problem lies on your cpu + heat sink. Maybe the Heatsink is not properly screw in and the cpu is not making a direct contact on the heatsink.

happen to me before gota hate them thermal paste..

i ended up switching to easy mode on my ryzen 2600.

Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad 30x30

yes exactly like that

OK, so if the CPU Cooler is installed correctly, then there are a few more things to check, as long as you know how to operate inside the BIOS. If youre not sure what youre doing probably is not a good idea to be touching the BIOS settngs.

1. Make sure theres EZ-Tuning in the BIOS is in NORMAL, Check manual page 20: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B450M-A/E14212_PRIME_B450M-A_UM_WEB.pdf.

2. Change to "Ai Tweaker" tab and lok for "Ai OC Turner" and "OC Turner", make sure they are "Disable" Page 21 of the manual. Everything esle should be on "Auto" (of course you can select the correct memory DOCP to enable the XMP profile of your RAM if you haven't.

3. If you use F7 to chnage to Advanced Mode, you should look for AMD CBS menú and turn OFF (Disable) PBO (not to be confused with PB alone).

4. Finally, once in Widnows open Windows Power Savings and check you have Balanced or AMD Ryzen Balanced selected.

Read first please:

Ryzen 5 3600 does run hot on the stock cooler, and if the PC Case is not well ventilated and/or your room is hot (cause of weather condition) this behavior will get worst.
Just beacuase you have a few fans inside the Case does not mean they are able to make a good airflow. Some cases just sucks at this (I know, I have one of those).

If nothing of the above fix the problem, theres 2 posible things to do:

a. Get and aftermarket cpu cooler. (but still the PC case needs to have good airflow).

b. Keep the same stock cpu cooler but go into the BIOS - F7 (for advance mode) and find and Disable "PB" which is the turbo technology for AMD cpus. Turning it Off will make your CPU to run at 3600MHz Top. Your CPU wont boost to anything higher anymore (but it will reduce the frecuncy when idling). You can Enable or Disable this feature as many times as you want. This will and should reduce the temps a lot.

Reactions: herrnanditovsk
Solution
Apr 26, 2020
I had the same issue (although peak temps of 90 C are not really an issue... what bothered me most was the constant humming I got from the stock cooler).

I ended up buying a new, much larger cooler with copper heat pipes and whatnot, but still rather inexpensive: Cooler Master H410R. Now I can run Folding@Home 24/7 if I want to, with max temps in the 70's.

My two cents on case ventilation: if it's not running nicely without a case or with the case open, i.e., situations that allow for plenty of air exchange to take place, then I don't see how extra case fans could have a significant impact.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Hi All, just wanted to ask, im getting high idle temps and gaming temps with my ryzen 5 3600. idle i get around 50-55c and while gaming around 80-90c is there anything i can do to reduce the temps? Thanks

Its normal if your ambient temperature is like mine (which is around 28 - 30) and outside temperature is near 38degc, so if that is the case then the stock cooler will run with idle temperature of 55deg, and i got max temp while doing cod warzone at 86 plus but did not cross 95deg, so stock cooler tend to run hot but if your are worried about it then swap it with antec A400 or gamaxx 400 or cooler master hyper 212

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I had the same issue (although peak temps of 90 C are not really an issue... what bothered me most was the constant humming I got from the stock cooler).

I ended up buying a new, much larger cooler with copper heat pipes and whatnot, but still rather inexpensive: Cooler Master H410R. Now I can run Folding@Home 24/7 if I want to, with max temps in the 70's.

My two cents on case ventilation: if it's not running nicely without a case or with the case open, i.e., situations that allow for plenty of air exchange to take place, then I don't see how extra case fans could have a significant impact.

Like you mentioned my case has three fans at front and one at back but it could not make up for the <Mod Edit> wraith stealth stock cooler, so i swapped with antec A400, now my temperature is reduced by nice 10c in both idle and load. i think cpu cooler matters more than a case cooler

Last edited by a moderator:
That case is a game max centauri, while it has room for 3 intake fans they won't actually do anything apart from spin and make noise, the front panel is completely solid with a tiny air intake strip at the bottom.

You'd be far better with a new case, that's your main issue.