[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 High Temps

Jun 22, 2020
I just upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600. After getting windows set up, I noticed that my temps are around 45c at idle, and 75 - 80c when gaming. My cooler is a Corsair H100x 240mm AIO. Also noticed that the frequency is constantly at 4.1Ghz, and never goes below that. Weird thing is that the idle temps are around 30c in the BIOS, but as soon as windows loads, it jumps right up to 45c, with spikes to 55c. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks!

Solution

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
45-55C sounds pretty average for idle. 75-80C sounds right for moderate to intense gaming. As long as your temps stay in a reasonable range and don't exceed 90C, you don't have much to worry about. If you are really concerned, reseat your CPU. As for the frequency, restart your PC and go to BIOS and check the overclocking profile for your CPU. Fixed clocks are normal, so don't freak out if you think it should be fluctuating and it isn't.

Jun 22, 2020
45-55C sounds pretty average for idle. 75-80C sounds right for moderate to intense gaming. As long as your temps stay in a reasonable range and don't exceed 90C, you don't have much to worry about. If you are really concerned, reseat your CPU. As for the frequency, restart your PC and go to BIOS and check the overclocking profile for your CPU. Fixed clocks are normal, so don't freak out if you think it should be fluctuating and it isn't.
Ok! Not sure about the OC profile, but thanks for your help!

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Solution
Jun 22, 2020
What Power Plan are you using in Windows ?
I suggest you use the AMD Ryzen Balanced Plan like this:
View: https://imgur.com/YIJtCbc

That will allow your CPU to downclock when idling and Boost up when needed.
I would also recommend that you use HWInfo Or Ryzen Master to monitor your temps because they are more accurate for Ryzen 3000 CPUs.

HWInfo:
https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
Ryzen Master:
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master
I use the Ryzen Balanced power plan, and after setting minimum processor state set to 20%, Ryzen Master reports the "Peak Speed" as around 1,333 MHz, which seems better to me. Also, after re-applying thermal paste, temps seem to be much better! Thanks for your help! I have one question though - Task Manager is still telling me that the CPU speed is around 4.1GHz, whilst Ryzen Master says something completely different. Is this normal?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I use the Ryzen Balanced power plan, and after setting minimum processor state set to 20%, Ryzen Master reports the "Peak Speed" as around 1,333 MHz, which seems better to me. Also, after re-applying thermal paste, temps seem to be much better! Thanks for your help! I have one question though - Task Manager is still telling me that the CPU speed is around 4.1GHz, whilst Ryzen Master says something completely different. Is this normal?
Yes it is, my 3700x idles at around 2.25 GHz but Task manager usually shows it between 3 and 4 GHz.