[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 horrendous temps

Aug 15, 2020
Good morning/afternoon/night? boys

So I bought a R5 3600 and a separate cooler and I'm experiencing very high temperatures. I'm going straight to specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Thermal paste: Corsair TM30
Case: Nox Hummer MC
Airflow: 1x front intake / 1x back exhaust <- both of these with stock fans / 1x top exhaust (Arctic P12)
MOBO: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
BIOS: F51 (latest, released about 2 weeks ago)

Here's an example: i just turned on the PC, and just after 3 minutes the CPU reached 70º. I'd like to remark that I configured a -0.048v offset:
moClQNb.png

As you can see on the task manager, the GPU is at 43º idle, so I think we can discard airflow issues.

I also installed the chipset drivers and applied Ryzen's high performance power plan (I messed up with the balanced plan and the voltage is extremely low, less than 1v.

Any thoughts on what's happening? I tried pretty much everything, I kinda think that it could be that my MOBO is crap. Everything is properly connected.

I also read somewhere that AMD has the sensor on the middle of the CPU, but I'm not sure if it's true

PD: hope this doesn't disturb any of you, I know this topic is very frequent

Solution
In my city we are at 30º right now, according to the AC (it's around 5m away) the ambient is 28.5º, I also performed a dust cleaning before installing the cooler.

Also I didn't mention that I used the rice method to apply thermal paste.

I stressed the CPU for 5 minutes using AIDA64 Extreme v6.25.5400, the voltage had a peak of 1.294v and the temps remained stable between 66-68º

oXSnT0D.png

Is it good?

You're not having any issues...everything looks healthy. A momentary peak temp of 70c just after loading Windows is not unusual at all...it's likely just the temp reading off one core as it boosted to max speed to load Windows and background apps at startup. 66-68c under full load is nothing at all...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah Ryzen measures slightly differently and won't show each core.

What temperatures do you get under load?

I say so because Ryzen temps and voltages do differ as the chips operate differently, but people fotne think they should behave the same. It's perfectly normal for Ryzen (and Intel, but more Ryzen) to have large spikes for various reasons.

Mine can easily appear to sit at 50 at seemingly idle, but in reality it's often perform minor acts in the background and then Ryzen will boost out of sleep, thus leading to random high temps that fluctuate rather largely.

Load temps would be a better indicator if there really is a problem. Also your ambient temperature is going to have a significant impcat if you're in a hot climate at the moment.

And then of course the key points:
  • Ensure you have adequate air flow through your case
  • Ensure the CPU cooler is adequately seated with appropriate thermal paste
  • Check your ambient temperatures

Aug 15, 2020
In my city we are at 30º right now, according to the AC (it's around 5m away) the ambient is 28.5º, I also performed a dust cleaning before installing the cooler.

I stressed the CPU for 5 minutes using AIDA64 Extreme v6.25.5400, the voltage had a peak of 1.294v and the temps remained stable between 66-68º

oXSnT0D.png

Is it good?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Application in reality barely makes a difference. It's just ensuring there is enough to make that thin layer with minimal air pockets. Any sensible application will be fine. Just not what damn The Verge builder did to their monstrosity!

In my city we are at 30º right now,
So that's also going to have a substantial impact. CPUs are generally tested in a controlled environement around 21 degrees C. So every degree you are over that, you'll be a degree hotter in application.

So if the CPU sits at 40 degrees idle at 21 degrees.
It'll sit at 49 degrees idle at 30 degrees approximately.

The max temperature for the 3600 iks 95 degrees. Having said that, it's best to keep the CPU consistently (not necessarily including spikes and drops) below at most 85 degrees for longevity, so as long as you're below that, even under load, you're good. 68 degrees is very good.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED

oXSnT0D.png

Is it good?
Below 70C under load is EXCELLENT.

oXSnT0D.png

Is it good?

You're not having any issues...everything looks healthy. A momentary peak temp of 70c just after loading Windows is not unusual at all...it's likely just the temp reading off one core as it boosted to max speed to load Windows and background apps at startup. 66-68c under full load is nothing at all to be concerned about.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
Aug 15, 2020
Alright, after 13 minutes of stress everything looks fine, around 6 small spikes and a tiny bigger one reaching 69º. Also the undervolt I applied is not too big, so I understand that the CPU won't ever be unstable.

I also ran a test on Cinebench R20 and it reached 74º max, but I saw later that this is fine too.

I'm closing the thread, thanks everyone!