[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 | Hot CPU? High Voltages?

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Hi!
Approx a month ago, I made my new build on Ryzen 5 3600,
And I thought that perhaps the stock cooler will be enough in my case just because I'm not an overclocker guy. But..
Every day, after my pc is turned on, I run the HWMonitor and monitoring the temperatures and etc. And I could say that I have seen 80c+ temps every day. And I always see the leaps in CPU temps. For example from 43 to 57 just in IDLE.
I am a simple user, Browsing, youtube(Chrome), some software, not too heavy
My country temps while this month (25-35-40)c
My room's temps approx (20-25-30)c

My PC case is be quiet! Pure Base 500DX with mesh front and good airflow with 2 intakes and 2 exhausts(all 4 are 120mm 1000rpm approx)

I think maybe the problem depends on the CPU cores voltages?
Please help me, if you met this problem or have listened about the same and know the solution.

I attached the HWMonitor screenshot and marked some values.

View: https://imgur.com/Spibuwf

Solution
Sporadic temperatures are also common among some of these ryzen cpus it seems, along with idle temps on the warm side

~1.4 voltage is also something people have been reporting for that processor, not that its anything to be worried about

For what its worth my ryzen CPU likes to bounce its idle temperatures around like a pinball and just sitting here on tomshardware is showing some cores occasionally hitting 1.5v

My idle temps are also high, about 42 to 62, ~50 being the average. I'm using a 120mm water cooler AIO on a 3900x which isn't all that much better than the stock cooler the 3900x comes with. A better cooler I'm sure would greatly bring down my temperatures.

Point being your voltage, idle temps, max temperature and sporadic...

Furzumz

Reputable
Sporadic temperatures are also common among some of these ryzen cpus it seems, along with idle temps on the warm side

~1.4 voltage is also something people have been reporting for that processor, not that its anything to be worried about

For what its worth my ryzen CPU likes to bounce its idle temperatures around like a pinball and just sitting here on tomshardware is showing some cores occasionally hitting 1.5v

My idle temps are also high, about 42 to 62, ~50 being the average. I'm using a 120mm water cooler AIO on a 3900x which isn't all that much better than the stock cooler the 3900x comes with. A better cooler I'm sure would greatly bring down my temperatures.

Point being your voltage, idle temps, max temperature and sporadic temperatures are common. A better cooler as Dorsai said would be good

Reactions: Web Dev
Solution
I have a a 3600x and it behaves pretty much the same, temps and voltages continuously jumping all over the place,(which was then making my wraith prism fan revving and ramping like crazy!) I found 'a fix' but it caps the cpu at a max of it's base speed and it wont reach it's turbo/boost speed.(which for me is not a big issue because I only really use my pc for browsing/htpc and a little light gaming, when i do game i just enable the boost again.) But my cpu's base speed is 3.8ghz which is more than ample to cope with what i use it for and my temps/voltages are way more stable and no more crazy fan ramping!

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
80c is not a problem and about expected for the stock cooler...if you're getting near 90c then look into a better cooler and/or a better case.

I thought to change the stock cooler, just I'm worried that the expensive cooler couldn't solve the problem as well. Also, the stock cooler gives some loud after CPU's 75c temp and it brokes all my be quiet concept :).
I would like to buy dark rock pro 4 with 250 TDP, just worried that it won't help too. What do you think about my choice?

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020

Point being your voltage, idle temps, max temperature and sporadic temperatures are common. A better cooler as Dorsai said would be good

Thanks for your meaningful answer! (y)

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
I have a a 3600x and it behaves pretty much the same, temps and voltages continuously jumping all over the place,(which was then making my wraith prism fan revving and ramping like crazy!) I found 'a fix' but it caps the cpu at a max of it's base speed and it wont reach it's turbo/boost speed.(which for me is not a big issue because I only really use my pc for browsing/htpc and a little light gaming, when i do game i just enable the boost again.) But my cpu's base speed is 3.8ghz which is more than ample to cope with what i use it for and my temps/voltages are way more stable and no more crazy fan ramping!

Hi, is that solution with RyzenMaster utility?

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
No,it's done through Windows 10.If you dont get any better answers/options I can do a walk through. But i'd try a after market cooler first.

Ok. Thank you soo much!
I would like to buy a new cooler at first as well. So after purchase, if there would be no any positive results, I will mention it here. Hope that helps.

Reactions: kurdtnz
I thought to change the stock cooler, just I'm worried that the expensive cooler couldn't solve the problem as well. Also, the stock cooler gives some loud after CPU's 75c temp and it brokes all my be quiet concept :).
I would like to buy dark rock pro 4 with 250 TDP, just worried that it won't help too. What do you think about my choice?
If you buy a high-end air cooler it will drop the temperatures. You can also change the cpu fan rpm curve so it doesn't keep ramping up and down. I have done this for the stock cooler, I have it at 40% up to 60 C and then ramp up fairly quickly after that.

Reactions: kurdtnz and Web Dev

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
If you buy a high-end air cooler it will drop the temperatures. You can also change the cpu fan rpm curve so it doesn't keep ramping up and down. I have done this for the stock cooler, I have it at 40% up to 60 C and then ramp up fairly quickly after that.

Thanks for your response but doesn't make it loud noise after reaching the 60C with your curve settings?
In my case, it jumps around 60 +/- almost always and I imagine, how noise would be it, jumping from 40% of CPU fan's work to 70/80% and vice versa

Thanks for your response but doesn't make it loud noise after reaching the 60C with your curve settings?
In my case, it jumps around 60 +/- almost always and I imagine, how noise would be it, jumping from 40% of CPU fan's work to 70/80% and vice versa
It stays under 60C for me unless I am gaming so it stays at a constant 40% rpm. I do have 5x 140mm case fans though which probably help

Ok,just so i dont forget,i'll write the method here. Just remember though,it will stop your cpu boosting to 4.2ghz and will max at 3.6 as that's your cpu's base speed. You can always reverse it if you see a performance drop but I havnt had to.
1.Open Windows settings and click on 'system'
2.On the left, click on 'power and sleep' then click on 'additional power settings'
3.It then has a list of power plans.I use AMD Ryzen balanced. then click on 'change plan settings.'
4.then click on 'change advanced power settings' a little window will pop up saying 'power options'
5.scroll down to where it says 'processer power management' and click on the little '+' sign
6.click the little '+' where it says 'maximum processer state' and change it to '99%' then press 'apply' and 'ok'

And that's it all done. It sounds more complicated than what it actually is but since Ive done this, my cpu runs much more stable and my temps are nowhere near as high.You can always change it back to 100% if/when you need the boost for gaming or more cpu intensive tasks. Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
It stays under 60C for me unless I am gaming so it stays at a constant 40% rpm. I do have 5x 140mm case fans though which probably help

Oh, it's cool to have 5 of 140mm fans :)
Your case is not my case, in my case it almost near 60 and very often 60+ than minus.
But I'm not gaming, I'm using just Google Chrome, VSCode as my code editor and that's all, sometimes local servers, but it's not often

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Ok,just so i dont forget,i'll write the method here. Just remember though,it will stop your cpu boosting to 4.2ghz and will max at 3.6 as that's your cpu's base speed. You can always reverse it if you see a performance drop but I havnt had to.
1.Open Windows settings and click on 'system'
2.On the left, click on 'power and sleep' then click on 'additional power settings'
3.It then has a list of power plans.I use AMD Ryzen balanced. then click on 'change plan settings.'
4.then click on 'change advanced power settings' a little window will pop up saying 'power options'
5.scroll down to where it says 'processer power management' and click on the little '+' sign
6.click the little '+' where it says 'maximum processer state' and change it to '99%' then press 'apply' and 'ok'

And that's it all done. It sounds more complicated than what it actually is but since Ive done this, my cpu runs much more stable and my temps are nowhere near as high.You can always change it back to 100% if/when you need the boost for gaming or more cpu intensive tasks. Hope it helps!

Thanks for sharing your practice with me, friend!
I'm just want to keep the basic settings of my CPU and not touch it.
By the way, the value of my power settings was and is AMD balanced as default.

I'm gonna keep your structure-list for the future if more powerful and expensive CPU fan won't solve my problem, thanks again!

Reactions: kurdtnz

That's a decent cooler (y)...it will still need good airflow through the case to provide maximum cooling.