[SOLVED] ryzen 5 3600, how to set clock speed

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
Ok so i have 3600 on asrock b550m pro4. I installed Freezer 13 today coz stock cooler wasnt holding anything.
In A-tuning(asrock mbo control center i guess) u have 3 modes: performance,standard, and energy saving. Standard mode mostly keeps cpu at 4.1 GHz and i found out power saving keeps it at 2.19 until it needs to go up.
As even Freezer 13 cant keep it cool while 10 mins in a game it got to me recently that 4.2GHz is overclock.. base clock should be 3.6GHz, maybe then i wouldn't have heat problems (already asked a question on cooling for a proper cooler).

My question is can anyone help me set ryzen to 3.6 GHz with ryzen master or a-tuning. I dont know anything about voltages or anything around that and i dont wanna mess something up. Thanks in advance

edit: finally found PBO in BIOS and turned it off, dunno yet if its gonna do anything, coz now at startup it was over 4GHz

Last edited:
Solution
The base clock of 3.6ghz is not the speed the chip should be running at all the time...that's the minimum speed under sustained 100% cpu load.

The chip should, under normal use, scale individual cores up to 4.2ghz given adequate cooling...that is the normal operation of the chip. Set the cpu multiplier in the BIOS to Auto and let the chip manage itself...it does a great job of it and will give you good performance given proper cooling.

There's little benefit to running PBO so having it off isn't a big deal for the 3600.

If you feel the chip is running hot then make sure the cpu cooler is properly mounted and look at your case airflow as a possible issue.
The base clock of 3.6ghz is not the speed the chip should be running at all the time...that's the minimum speed under sustained 100% cpu load.

The chip should, under normal use, scale individual cores up to 4.2ghz given adequate cooling...that is the normal operation of the chip. Set the cpu multiplier in the BIOS to Auto and let the chip manage itself...it does a great job of it and will give you good performance given proper cooling.

There's little benefit to running PBO so having it off isn't a big deal for the 3600.

If you feel the chip is running hot then make sure the cpu cooler is properly mounted and look at your case airflow as a possible issue.

Solution

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014

everything should be ok, but when the cpu is used alot the cooler is at max and the heat just keeps going up. Player pubg 10-15 mins while checking temp and its slowly going up but it shoudn't.. could a faulty cpu be a problem?

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
The freezer 143isn't a great cpu cooler.

That said gradually rising load temps would normally indicate poor case airflow and internal hotspots.

What case and fan configuration are you using??
Also ambient/room temps??

Whats your case cooling like ? How many intake and exhaust fans ?

https://ibb.co/fpdwbQX -my case (antec nx100)
rn in house temp is 24-27C
- also to note when once temp got over 90C the case was hot af, literally to burn hand
-question: can bios update temp anything, i have one available

The issue you're having is caused by poor case airflow...you basically have little to none with obstruction at the front and the cpu fan pointing up there's not much heat leaving the case.

You can prove this by leaving the side panel off and pointing a room fan into the case...I'm willing to bet that will solve your problem.

it that really so significant
and the front of the case has like 2 small holes on top and bottom, not so good

Absolutely significant, your cpu is getting recycled hot gpu air whilst gaming, straight away that's going to put 15-20c on cpu temps.

With no pass through airflow your entire case is becoming a hotbox very quickly under heavy use.

2 intake fans with the ryzen stock cooler would have lowered temps much more than the freezer 13 with no intakes, for probably less money.

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
Absolutely significant, your cpu is getting recycled hot gpu air whilst gaming, straight away that's going to put 15-20c on cpu temps.

With no pass through airflow your entire case is becoming a hotbox very quickly under heavy use.

2 intake fans with the ryzen stock cooler would have lowered temps much more than the freezer 13 with no intakes, for probably less money.
yeah i can see that coz right now i have the see through panel off and def at least 10C lowers temps.
2060 shoots a LOT of hot air to the side and that would remain in case. Im thinking makin a hole in the panel so the air from 2060 goes straight out