Question Ryzen 5 3600 idle temps too high

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
My new ryzen 5 3600 is having cpu temp flucations, and high idle temps. I reinstalled the cooler and I have the same result as last time. Going from 44 degrees celsius to 56 degrees Celsius is not normal, especially when am doing nothing but running windows. The bios tells me that my temps are around 30 degrees Celsius, but msi command center says it is way above that(44 to 56 degrees Celsius). I have not overclocked anything at all. I have a MSI B350 PC mate and I’m using the stock cooler. I have a wraith spire on hand that I could switch to. Any ideas or suggestions would really help.

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
When not in bios, use Ryzen Master from now on.
Any other program will 'wake' the sleeping cores/threads, making them think there's a task to be done, creating the illusion of high idle temps.
I was able to fix the issue because MSi command center was making my core speeds go to 4.1ghz instead of 3.6ghz. However, my idle cpu temp is now around 36-39 degrees Celsius. Is this ok

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If I wanted to upgrade my CPU cooler still could I get a low profile and get better temps?
Low profile AND better temps?
No, but you can do low profile and lower noise(if you care about that at all). Reason is, another LP cooler won't do significantly better temperature-wise than the stock one.

The main reason to replace the stock cooler in the 3600 and 3700X is noise. It's pretty good otherwise.
Different story for 3800X and up.